Few beverages have the appeal of aromatic coffee early in the morning. And if that cup is a shot of espresso, that’s pretty hard to match.
It’s not easy though to get a fine espresso at home, and most people need to postpone that till after they leave the house. Some get their shot on their way to work, while others head to the nearest cafe.
However, there’s a different arrangement that could let you enjoy a heavenly espresso right after waking up. Freshly ground coffee is the secret to brewing an impeccable cup of coffee. And luckily, you don’t need to spend a ton of money on a grinder.
If you’d like to know what’s the best budget coffee grinder for espresso, and how to choose the right one, read on!
If you’re in a hurry, here’s the TL;DR version:
The Top 5 Budget Coffee Grinders for Espresso Reviewed
This is a roundup of our favorite coffee grinders for espresso. We believe in smart shopping, but we also never compromise on good quality. The list includes various burr grinders and all of them under $100.
We didn’t include blade grinders as these create non-uniform grain sizes, and the heat created by their excessive speeds overcooks the coffee beans. These are some of the mistakes to avoid when making a homebrew. We did, however, include both electric and manual burr grinders.
The details of these devices vary, but they have one thing in common. They turn the coffee beans to a fine grind for the best espresso cup.
It’s hard to believe that this grinder comes at a price that’s barely above the $50 mark. AICOOK surpassed our expectations with the number of features they included in this model. Starting with the 40 adjustments for ground size, in addition to the accurate timer.
This coffee grinder is rock solid inside and out, so if you’re a coffee-lover, its durability will serve you well. Also, the stainless steel conical burrs operate at a slow speed to ensure that the freshness and wholesome flavors of the coffee beans stay intact.
Unlike most coffee grinders, the AICOOK isn’t noisy, it’s actually a demure and quiet device. And so, you can operate it early in the morning when everyone is asleep, with a clear conscience.
This nice-looking grinder wouldn’t take up too much space, so it wouldn’t need special arrangements for installation or storage. It’s also a breeze to refill or clean, as the hopper and jar are easily removable.
- Nice aesthetics
- Quiet operation
- Large hopper
- 40 settings for the grind size
- Timer for precise grinding
- Sturdy stainless steel burr
- 2 years money-back guarantee
- A little messy and needs some tidying up after grinding
- The hopper might have some loose screws that need tightening or gluing in place
This is a basic coffee grinder that’ll get the job done. It’s a compact unit that’ll be perfect for a small household. Still, it can hold up to 12 cups worth of coffee beans. So when a bunch of friends come over, you can charm them with your skills as a first-grade barista!
The best feature of the Sboly grinder is the consistent results you get from it every time. The texture and aroma of the coffee grounds would be just right for your daily cup of joe.
- Compact size
- Fine evenly ground coffee grains
- 18 grind size settings
- High capacity up to 12 cups
- Easy cleaning and maintenance
- Safety locking mechanism
- Several parts are made from plastic
- The grounds are occasionally a bit coarser than expected
- Produces a uniform ground texture for the most consistent results with the burr grinding wheel
- Choose the perfect grind setting from course, to medium, to fine
- Grind 4-12-cup of coffee with quantity control knob; once grinding is complete, it shuts off automatically
- Easy access to ground coffee with removable, transparent ground coffee container
- Stylish and durable stainless steel exterior
It’s hard to imagine a list for coffee-making appliances without a De’Longhi. This oldtimer is one of the industry leaders, and it shows clearly in this grinder.
The looks of this machine might be its strongest suit, but that’s not that it has. This grinder is extremely easy to operate, and it renders the exact consistency that you need every single time. Espresso is a needy beverage, and this grinder provides the required coffee grounds.
- Consistent results
- Various settings
- Sturdy exterior
- Easy access to containers
- The coffee bean hopper is a bit small
- A bit loud
- 14 GRINDING SETTINGS: This electric coffee grinder offers 14 kinds of coffee ground grinding sizes. A range of size selection from finest (espresso grind) to coarsest (for French press or steeping cold brew).
- ADJUSTABLE QUANTITY (2 TO 12 CUPS): The coffee grinder has a high capacity to make 12 cups of grounds. Good for single cup for one or a large gathering of many. Great for home or office use!
- UNIFORM COFFEE GROUNDS: The ground coffee produced by the stainless steel burr grinder is fine and even, which better retains the coffee's natural aroma and flavor, for rich robust great taste.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The Upper chamber, container, and the grinding burr inside the machine can be removed easily for cleaning. After grinding, you can also use a cleaning brush to clean the coffee grinder inside.
- COMPACT DESIGN: The electric burr grinder is compact in size and high in quality. Your best choice when buying a grinder!
This is one of the grinders that’s so small and so practical that you can take it anywhere you like. Whether that’s the office or the beach house. Even if you’re on an RV camping trip, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy freshly ground coffee.
It’s also one of the quiet models, and you can adjust the required consistency and operate it with a single knob.
- Futuristic compact design
- 14 ground size settings
- Adjustable capacity
- Stainless steel burr
- Removable parts for easy cleaning
- Occasional build-up of static on the plastic parts
- A bit messy
Coffee grinders don’t always need electricity to work. A manual grinder is a must-have if you’re a coffee lover who’s constantly on the go.
This one allows you to get various ground sizes accurately, as you can set it beforehand to the kind you like. Its handle is specially designed to minimize the effort needed for grinding, and it comes at an amazing price.
- Doesn’t need power to work
- Adjustable ground size
- Ergonomic design
- Might take a bit of time and effort to prepare the grounds
How to Pick the Right Coffee Grinder for Espresso
The main point to look for is the ability of the grinder to reach a fine consistency. This is the biggest requirement for making espresso.
The second major consideration is the type of mechanism used for grinding. Blades are much too aggressive on the coffee beans so we’d rather work with burr grinds. The conical variety is slightly better than the regular grinds, as the former produces more uniform and fresh grounds.
We make coffee at least once a day, and sometimes several times per day. This means that a coffee grinder would be heavily used. Thus, the high durability of the internal parts, housing, and containers would be a plus.
Finally, grinders are noisy devices. And since most of us like to make coffee first thing in the morning, then a low-noise machine is far better than a feisty one.
Espresso grinds should be fine, but not as powdery as the grinds used for Turkish coffee. The perfect shot needs grinds that are closer to table salt, which is a bit hard to adjust with domestic grinders. However, all the grinders on our list will do a wonderful job.
As for the best one, the AICOOK Conical Burr Coffee Grinder easily takes the top spot. It’s efficient, grinds the coffee beans to the right consistency for espresso, and it’s quite easy to operate. In addition, it’s a low-noise grinder, which is quite rare. Enjoy your espresso!