Making coffee without a carafe has many benefits. You put your mug under the spout and wait for the magical sweetness of coffee to start pouring in.
Then there’s the benefit of less hassle when it comes to cleaning and maintaining the carafe. Plus, you don’t have to worry about it getting cracked or broken.
Read our review of the best carafe-less coffee maker to find out more about these convenient and amazing machines.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top picks:
The 4 Best Carafe-Less Coffee Makers
Here are our top 4 recommendations for the best no-carafe coffee makers on the market.
1. Cuisinart DCC-3000 Coffee-on-Demand: Best Overall
- EASY-TO-USE ACTUATOR: Dispense one cup at a time when the dispenser light comes on – simply press the lever to fill your cup and leverage the easy-to-read Coffee Gauge for future brew cycles to know how many cups of coffee remain
- SIMPLIFY YOUR MORNING: Removable water reservoir and drip tray under coffee dispenser allows for easy set up during your busy morning
- DOUBLE-WALL RESERVOIR: Our removable coffee reservoir holds up to twelve 5 oz cups of coffee so you can serve the entire household with ease
- FULLY PROGRAMMABLE: Designed with superior functionality in mind boasting features such as 24-hour advance brew start, 1-4 cup settings, self-clean and auto shutoff
- DURABLE FILTERS: Permanent gold-tone basket-style filter and built-in charcoal water filter
The Cuisinart DCC-300 is a must-have for large households or workplaces. Its 12-cup capacity and state-of-art features make it convenient and easy to use.
You can easily make barista-style coffee for up to 12 people. Two inner filters make sure your coffee is as delicious as ever!
What if you need just one cup of coffee? That’s doable too. There’s also a gauge that gives you a reading of how many cups are left.
We were impressed with the programming function. You can set it up to 24 hours in advance to power on and off at your selected time.
- Double filter system
- Coffee gauge
- Double-wall water tank keeps coffee hot
- Some users found the water tank hard to clean
- The handle tends to stick in the ‘open’ position
2. Hamilton Beach 47950 Coffee Maker: Runner-up
- FRESH FLAVOR LONGER WITHOUT THE CARAFE: This coffee maker replaces the carafe with quick and easy dispensing of fresh, flavorful coffee anytime. Without a carafe, there's no breaking, spilling, or cleaning baked-on coffee stains.
- NO MORE SCORCHED OR BURNED COFFEE: The Hamilton Beach coffee maker's internal warming heater keeps coffee warm and fresh for hours. It works without a carafe, so coffee won't burn or scorch.
- HOT COFFEE WHEN YOU'RE READY ONE FRESH CUP AT A TIME: The 12 cup coffee maker dispenses hot coffee directly into a cup or a 7" travel mug whenever you're ready for a cup by simply pressing the dispensing bar. Quickly fill your cup with hot, fresh coffee.
- EASY TO FILL WITH REMOVABLE WATER RESERVOIR: The water reservoir removes for easy filling and cleaning. With a 12 cup capacity, you can brew enough coffee for everyone at once.
- KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME TO CLEAN: Helpful reminders on the digital display let you know when it's time to clean the coffee maker, so you never forget.
Hamilton Beach 47950 is another great choice for a large household or office. Its 12-cup capacity will keep everyone’s caffeine fix under control for many hours to come.
One of its best features is its internal storage pot. It keeps your coffee warm and fresh, thanks to the gentle heater.
The well-designed inner tank ensures rich coffee in every cup. It has clear markings so you know when it’s time to start making some more.
Use the four programmable options to get that perfect brew, ranging from bold to light. You can also program it up to 24 hours in advance.
- Well-built tank maintains freshness
- Clear markings to show how much coffee is in the tank
- 4 choices for brew strength
- May wobble if not placed against a wall or in a corner
- Some users complained of coffee leaking from the internal pot
3. Ninja Speciality Coffee Maker: Best Multi-Tasker
- 4 BREW STYLES: Select from one of the four, versatile brew styles: Classic, Rich, Over Ice, or Specialty Brew.
- SPECIALTY BREWS: Brew a super-rich coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks.
- MAKE ICED COFFEE: Brew fresh over ice for flavorful iced coffee that's never watered down.
- 6 BREW SIZES: Brew anything from a single cup or travel size to a half or full carafe in your coffee maker. 6 sizes include Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, Multi-Serve Travel Mug, Half Carafe & Full Carafe.
- NO PODS REQUIRED: Use your favorite grounds to create a single-serve coffee—no reusable pod required.
Do you need a coffee maker that caters to different coffee preferences? Then the Ninja Speciality is for you.
We were impressed by how much it could do. From hot and iced coffee to macchiatos, the sky’s the limit. It also offers cream toppings and airy milk whipped froths if you want to go all out with your coffee.
The best part is that it adjusts the amount of coffee according to 6 brew sizes. You can set it to ‘cup’ to get 9.5 ounces, and goes all the way up to ‘XL multi-serve’ for an 18-ounce mug.
Another feature we liked is how easy it was to clean. Most parts are removable and can be placed in the dishwasher.
- Offers various cup sizes
- Easy to clean
- The price is relatively higher than other models
- Some users complained of getting an ‘error code’ right out of the box
4. Black+Decker DCM18S Brew ‘N Go Personal Coffee Maker: Best Budget
- Personal Coffeemaker - The fast, no-hassle way to get your morning coffee! This single-serve coffeemaker brews directly into the included travel mug so you can get started with your day
- Permanent Grounds Filter - No need to buy wasteful paper filters, the mesh metal filter works with grounds or soft pods, and is easy to rinse clean
- Automatic Shutoff - The coffeemaker turns off immediately after brewing, giving you peace of mind as you head out the door
- Travel Mug Included - The 15-oz. stainless steel travel mug is perfect for taking your daily cup of joe on the run, it fits snugly in most car cup holders
- Space-Saving Design - The compact design is perfect for small kitchens, apartments, and dorm rooms
Do you live on your own or in a dorm? Or maybe you’re the only one in your house who drinks coffee. When all you need is one serving of coffee, your best bet is the Black+Decker personal coffee maker.
One feature we like is that it comes with a 15-ounce dishwasher-safe travel mug. Yet another reason why this coffee maker is such a great bargain. While having an extra travel mug is great, any mug under 5.5 inches will also work.
Capable of producing 5 ounces with each brew, the Brew ’N Go comes with its own built-in coffee filter. It can be easily removed and hand-washed.
You can set it up before going to bed, then turn it on first thing in the morning for a fresh cup of coffee. The best part is its automatic shutoff safety feature.
- Comes with a travel mug
- Removable filter
- Easy to clean
- Auto shutoff feature
- Some users complained of a plastic taste in their coffee
- The power switch tends to fail after some months
How to Choose the Best Carafe-Less Coffee Maker: A Buying Guide
In no-carafe coffee makers, there’s an internal tank filled with water. This is where the magic of the brewing process happens.
After it’s been brewed, the coffee stays in this tank. Then, with the press of a button, coffee goes straight into your coffee mug. This tank is also how no-carafe coffee makers maintain the temperature of the coffee for longer, more than a carafe ever would.
A versatile coffee maker would be one that has a capacity of at least 4 cups. For bigger households or in a work environment, a tank that can make up to 12, or even 14, cups is the way to go.
There are also machines that cater to individual servings. They’re usually more portable and take up a lot of space.
Some coffee makers come with the ability to be programmed up to 24 hours in advance. With this feature, you can set your machine to turn on and off whenever you want.
Others come with the option to pick from several brewing strengths. It’s a great way to make sure your coffee is perfectly prepared every time.
Most coffee makers come with gentle heaters to keep coffee warm. Even those that don’t have one are capable of maintaining the coffee’s temperature for several hours.
A Final Note
If you wake up dreaming of your first cup of coffee, then you need a no-carafe coffee maker in your life. But with so many options available, it can be hard knowing which one to pick.
Luckily, our product review of the best carafe-less coffee makers can help you out. Each model comes with its own set of trendy features. Yet, they’re all capable of making delicious coffee with each brew.
Now you can wake up knowing that cup of coffee you’ve been dreaming about is mere seconds away.