Cold-brew enthusiasts take their coffee too seriously. You’d think it’s easier to just brew hot coffee and cool it down, like how iced coffees are made. However, that would rid the coffee of its fresh taste, and it’d dilute the brew.
If you’re one of the cold-brew-or-no-brew folks, this is the right guide for you. I’ll help you find the best coffee bean grinder for cold brew, and I’ll provide some buying tips to help you further.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top picks:
The 3 Best Coffee Bean Grinders for Cold Brew
Whether you prefer manual or electric grinders, or you’re on a tight or unlimited budget, you’ll meet your match here. Check the following top picks of the market.
- ENJOY THE PERFECT CUP OF FRESH COFFEE ― The Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse Coffee Company has a built-in adjustable ceramic burr with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind. This hand coffee grinder is great for all brewing methods to enjoy the perfect cup of fresh coffee and espresso in the morning.
- CONVENIENT, PORTABLE AND EASY-TO-USE ESPRESSO GRINDER ― The hand crank coffee grinder mechanism eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric coffee bean grinders produce. Unlike electric burr grinders for coffee beans, the patented JavaPresse dual plated manual ceramic burr coffee grinder assembly requires no batteries, power or long plastic cords to operate. This allows you to enjoy fresh ground coffee beans at home or on the go as the best camping coffee grinder.
- THE BEST WAY TO START YOUR DAY ― This manual coffee grinder is equipped with a professional grade ceramic conical burr for an incredibly consistent coffee grind that heightens flavors of the most exquisite beans in the world. Smell the fresh aroma of fresh ground coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, AeroPress, French Press or pour over coffee maker!
- TREAT YOURSELF TO THE HIGHEST QUALITY MANUAL COFFEE GRINDER THAT IS BUILT TO LAST ― Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented ceramic handheld coffee grinder burr is tested through three quality inspections to last 5 times longer than comparable stainless steel coffee burrs. Combined with an impeccable frame and convenient size, this is the pinnacle travel coffee grinder that is a great gift for yourself or a friend.
- ENHANCE YOUR MORNING WHILE MAKING AN IMPACT AROUND THE WORLD ― Your deliciously crafted cup of coffee from our manual coffee grinder is helping empower coffee farmers to chase a brighter future. A portion of our profits go towards positively impacting our partner’s coffee supply chain and their local communities. Our mission hinges on one fundamental idea: when we care, happiness flows and everyone wins. Including you with this hand coffee bean grinder by JavaPresse.
If you cherish traditional methods, you’ll love the JavaPresse coffee grinder. It’s a manual grinder that works with a crank handle, and its size fits perfectly in the hand palm.
The JavaPresse has 18 grind settings, ranging from coarse to ultra-fine, along with a cold-press setting that grinds the beans for cold brewing.
The grinder is compact and portable, making it an ideal choice for hiking or camping trips. It’s also constructed of stainless steel, which is highly durable and rust-resistant. It’ll take a lot of abuse before showing the least bit of wear and tear.
The Java has ceramic conical burrs, which are more durable than burrs made of any other material. They’ll last a lifetime if you take good care of them.
The grinder is easy to clean, thanks to its detachable design. Once you take everything apart, you’ll be able to clean it in a matter of minutes.
For a manual grinder, the JavaPress isn’t what I’d call affordable, but it offers value back for each dollar you pay.
- Compact and portable
- Durable construction that’ll last a lifetime
- 18 grinding settings available for different brews
- The manual operation is slow and a bit noisy
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- DIGITAL TIMER and BACKLIT GROUNDS BIN - a 40-second digital timer, adjustable to a tenth of a second, and an LED backlit grounds bin to dose ground coffee accurately and consistently.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - With enhanced commercial-grade conical burrs to help you explore an extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French Press, and automatic brewers).
- STYLISH - A sculptured metal top and base give the Virtuoso+ a modern image that highlights your coffee corner.
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Engineered with 40mm hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind and durability ensuring the longevity users have come to expect from the Baratza brand. The Virtuoso+ is backed by Baratza’s world class support and a 1 year warranty.
If you have enough money and a sufficient place for an electric grinder, the Baratza Virtuoso is a must to check. With its 40 grind settings, carbon steel burrs, and consistent grinding results, it’s hard to find a machine like it.
The Baratza’s strong suit is the coarser grind sizes, making it perfect for cold brewing. Its motor runs at a maximum speed of 420 RPMs—a slow speed, but it optimizes the grinding and lets the burrs take their time. Additionally, it reduces the amount of heat and friction exposed to the beans at once.
The coffee grinder’s settings are adjustable to a tenth of a second, accounting for the exceptional precision of the grind size. On top of that, it features a grounds hopper that doses your coffee accurately. It’s LED-backlit, too, for a sleek look.
The variety of grind settings make the Baratza suitable for cold brews, automatic brewers, French presses, espressos, and more coffee variations.
- User-friendly and easy to use
- Accurate grinding and various customization options
- Excellent for coarse grounds
- The machine grinds a bit slower than most competitors
- Durable 40 millimeter stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- 15 settings (plus Micro settings) let you adjust your grind to suit your taste. Perfect for everything from espresso to cold brew
- One touch start timer keeps your last setting, just push to grind
- Hopper holds up to 0.75 pounds of Coffee beans. Product Dimension - 12x7.4x16 inch
- Anti-Static grounds container accommodates up to 110 grams (enough for 12 cups). Never use water or other liquids to clean the inside of the grinder/burrs
When you look at the Oxo, the first thing that’ll catch your eyes is the hopper design. While most grinders have tapered hoppers, the Oxo features a conical shape that feeds the beans easier into the burrs and prevents popcorning.
The Oxo’s black housing is made of plastic, and the metallic parts are made of brushed stainless steel that doesn’t show signs of wear and tear or rust.
As for the functionality, the grinder has 15 settings marked at the base of the hopper. There’s a built-in timer that works for 30 seconds at a time, and you can pause mid-session if you’re afraid of overheating.
Furthermore, there’s a safety lock for the hopper to make sure it doesn’t fall off and create a mess. On top of that, the grinder’s components are removable for easy cleaning, including the burrs.
- Serving scoop included in the purchase
- Large capacity of 12 cups
- Built-in memory for your favorite grind settings
- It makes a buzzing noise sometimes
Factors to Consider When Choosing Your Grinder
To get the right grinder for your cold brew, there are two essential factors to consider: the speed and the type. Here’s a brief overview of why they’re important.
Let’s face it; we all want speedy grinders. No one wants to wait for an hour for some coffee beans to be ground, especially when you still have cold brewing to wait for. However, there are a couple of things that need to be taken into consideration.
For starters, high speed increases the friction of the beans with the grinder, which may increase the heat and cause the beans to lose their aromas. For cold brewing, that may result in a sour taste.
Besides, slow grinding results in even heat distribution, which will get you consistent results every time you use the grinder.
There are two main grinder types on the market: manual and electric.
If you’re buying a manual grinder, you need to consider your upper body strength and your patience. If your hands aren’t strong enough to keep grinding continuously for five minutes or so, then manual grinders aren’t for you. Plus, if you aren’t patient enough, you’ll probably break the manual grinder after a couple of tries.
On the other hand, electric grinders are expensive, so that’s one thing to consider. Additionally, they need maintenance and cleaning to avoid cutting their life short.
That said, electric grinders are much quicker than manual ones, and they result in a better taste due to the even distribution of heat.
The Final Verdict
My top choice for the best coffee bean grinder for cold brew is the Baratza Virtuoso. Its coarse grinding settings are to speak of, making it one of the best options for cold brew. If you’re on a tight budget, or you prefer manual grinders, the JavaPresse is a worthy alternative to consider. It’s durable, easy to use, and portable. Its only downside is that it’s slow and has a small capacity. However, that’s how it is with all manual grinders.