If you’re into French press coffee, we’ll take a wild guess and assume you mainly love it for its chewy consistency. Also, you may be aiming for that rich and sophisticated taste that is often associated with it.
Yet, to get that desirable result, you must choose the best coffee to use in a French press. People who pick the wrong beans may end up with a sad, bitter-tasting drink.
In this article, we’ll showcase the top five coffee bean brands that should suit a French press perfectly.
At a glance
The Best 5 Coffee Beans to Use in a French Press
When picking coffee for a French press coffee maker, you’ll want to shoot for coarse ground beans. This way, you’ll be reducing the number of tiny particles that might escape the mesh filter, making your coffee less bitter.
We’ve taken that into consideration when picking the following products, so let’s explore each one of them more in-depth.
- Delicious, Ethically Sourced Coffee: You've tried the rest, now buy the best; Lifeboost Non-Gmo organic whole bean low acid coffee is high in flavor; The beans are sun dried, and spring water washed; The result is pure, natural coffee derived straight from nature
- Grown In The Mountains Of Central America: Lifeboost Single Origin Acid Free Coffee is shade grown at a high elevation in the mountains of Central America; The exclusive farms that we work with are all bird friendly and each coffee bean is hand selected to ensure purity
- Low Acid Medium Roast Coffee Beans : Your standard cup of coffee is very acidic; That's why some feel stomach discomfort or deal with teeth issues from drinking coffee; The solution is our low acid coffee beans; The antioxidant rich organic coffee delivers all the wonderful benefits of coffee without the unwanted side effects
- Certified Organic & 3rd Party Tested: The coffee beans are Usda Certified Organic, and 3rd Party Tested for mycotoxins, heavy metals, pesticides, and 400 other toxins; One sip of this organic whole bean coffee and you'll have a hard time going back to an ordinary cup of joe
- Love It Or You Don't Owe Us A Dime: Nothing makes us happier than hearing how much our customers love our award winning coffee; We're confident you'll be another that agrees that we have the best coffee beans; Try a bag of Lifeboost Coffee for 30 days, and if you don't love it (we doubt it), we'll give you your money back
Here’s a coffee brand that’s quite popular amongst users for its organic, low-acid, and non-GMO beans. The Lifeboost whole bean coffee can be just right for a French press for its richness and irresistible taste.
The beans are grown in the mountains of Central America, where the best Arabica beans come from. In addition to that, each coffee bean is hand-selected, sun-dried, and spring water washed.
For the more delicious French press brew, you could pick from medium or dark roast coffee. This way, you’ll be able to extract all the flavorful notes from these beans with minimum bitterness.
- All-natural, non-GMO coffee beans
- Available as whole bean and ground coffee
- Planted at high elevations in Central America
- Hand-roasted and picked
- A bit expensive
- OUR COMPANY: A company of 2 strong and launched in May 2019 by brothers Nick and Dan Hunnewell. Their mission, bringing better coffee to Amazon while giving back to coffee growing regions.
- MICROLOT COFFEE: Our Single Origin Microlot Coffees are sourced from high-end limited-edition lots and are traceable down to an individual producer
- ARABICA COFFEE: Our Single Origin Coffees are made from 100% Arabica coffee beans. Arabica Coffee has twice the flavor and a better aroma than its counterpart Robusta.
- FLAVOR FIRST: We source all our coffee to achieve specific taste notes. Our Costa Rican Microlot tastes of Cocoa, Toffee, Lemon, with a Sweet and Clean body
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Our Costa Rican coffee is versatile and delicious. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, give us a shout and we'll make it right. You'll get to talk directly to one of the two Coffee Bros when you reach out to us. Dan is the Head of Brand and Marketing while Nick is our Head Roaster. We'll help find you the perfect coffee, show you the best brewing methods, or just chat about all things coffee!
Another one of our favorites is the Coffee Bros. Costa Rica coffee. This single-origin coffee can be traced down to an individual producer, promising high quality. Plus, it’s %100 Arabica coffee, which should attract any seasoned connoisseur.
If you wish to add other taste notes to your French press brew, this coffee could be just what you need. The makers of these beans ensured that they carried subtle flavors of cocoa, lemon, and toffee to take your morning routine to another level.
Since the French press brings out all the desirable flavors in coffee, we’re certain these beans will get along with this brewing method.
- 100% natural Arabica beans
- Strong flavor and aroma
- Includes notes of lemon, cocoa, and toffee
- May be a bit too acidic for some people’s taste
- Grind fresh each time you make coffee for best flavor
- Exceptional coffee roasted locally in Seattle since 1995
- Light to Medium Roast
- Whole Bean Coffee
A lot of people associate this coffee with the French press because of its ability to give you a rich flavor. Better yet, the Caffe Vita Bistro blend combines the best beans from South America, East Africa, and Indonesia.
Another great thing about this blend is that it includes delicious notes of dark chocolate, berry, nougat, and caramel. So, once you brew a steaming cup of this coffee, you could relax on your couch on a cold morning and appreciate this unmatched flavor.
- A high-end blend of South American, East African, and Indonesian beans
- Combines tasty notes of chocolate, caramel, nougat, and berry
- Mildly acidic
- Available in light and medium roast
- Roasted locally in Seattle for extra freshness
- Strong-coffee drinkers might prefer a bolder taste
- COARSE GROUND COFFEE FOR COLD BREWING – We start with gourmet arabica coffee beans from Colombia, then we grind them to the perfect coarse ground size for optimal cold brew extraction. Our grounds are perfect for using in your at-home cold brew coffee maker or system, French press, pitcher, or mason jar.
- DARK ROAST COLOMBIAN SUPREMO – Our beans are classified as ‘supremo’ which are the largest and highest quality beans from Colombia. When these beans are dark roasted, it brings out the nutty/chocolate notes and makes the most delicious tasting cold brew coffee.
- STRONG & SMOOTH BLEND – Our coffee is specially formulated to make a bold, balanced, low-acid, slightly sweet cold brew or iced coffee. You can easily adjust the strength to make it extra strong (more coffee or longer brewing time) or even lighter (more water).
- 1 LB RESEALABLE BAG (16 Ounce) – Our 3-layer natural kraft bag is foil-lined and has a one-way valve for optimal coffee freshness. The wide top opening makes for easy scooping and the seal keeps your one pound of coffee fresh. Our premium packaging makes the perfect gift for the special coffee lover in your life.
- FRESHLY ROASTED IN BROOKLYN, NYC – Stone Street Coffee Company is specialty small-batch roaster, we’ve been making artisanal coffee since 2009.
Plus, the Stone Street coffee is 100% Columbian beans, which are known for their bold flavor and smooth texture. Also, they have a remarkable sweetness that everyone might appreciate, with notes of chocolate, caramel, and fruit.
- 100% single-origin Columbian beans
- Strong, well-balanced, and sweet flavor
- Holds touches of chocolate, caramel, and fruit
- Perfect for a cold brew as well as a French press coffee
- A bit pricey
- Please note, our coffee is mild with subtle flavors for a delightful, easy-drinking coffee
- A mild coffee with medium body, low acidity, smooth, sweet with citrus notes, consistent as coffee is never blended
- Medium roasted for subtle, pleasant flavor and coarsely ground for the slow brewing method of french press
- Premium Arabica coffee selected from the best micro-lots at our fourth generation family farm
- Strictly high grown under shade trees, harvested by hand, European prepared and naturally dried
Here’s the final candidate that you may want to use in a French press. This Primos medium-roast coffee has hundreds of positive reviews for its smoothness and richness.
It includes subtle citrus notes for a pleasant flavor. Plus, it has low acidity, which should be convenient for those who are prone to heartburns after consuming coffee.
Hand-grown and dried, the Primos specialty coffee promises quality and an irresistible taste.
- 100% Arabica beans from Nicaragua
- Smooth, consistent body with a citrus aftertaste
- Low in acid
- Hand-picked, sun-dried, and small-batch roasted
- Some people thought it was mild for a dark roast
How to Make the Perfect French Press Coffee
Now that you have many options to choose from, it’s time to take your pick and start brewing a nice cup of coffee. If you’re not exactly familiar with how a French press coffee maker works, we’d be glad to give you a few tips.
- Put the pot on a dry, flat surface
- Hold the handle tightly, then pull out the plunger
- Add a tablespoon of coffee to the pot for every 6.7 ounces of water
- Pour hot water into the pot, then stir gently
- Reinsert the plunger into the pot and stop just above the water level
- Let the plunger stand for about three or four minutes
- Press down on the plunger slowly
- Make sure to always wash the pot with water and a mild detergent after each use
- Dry thoroughly
If you’re haven’t tried this method before, you may find it tricky to shop for the best coffee to use in a French press. Hopefully, after taking a look at our options, you’ll manage to find the perfect fit.
As for us, our top pick is the Lifeboost Coffee Whole Bean Medium Roast Coffee. We like that it’s 100% organic, not to mention that it promises a well-balanced taste and an amazing aroma.
Our second best choice would be the Primos French Press Specialty Coffee. It’s reasonably priced, has pleasant citrus notes, and it’s low in acid. Now, what about your favorite?