If you like coffee, then you’ll love our choice of the best coffee grinder for percolators. While your choice of beans makes a big difference in how your coffee turns out, it’s all about the grind size and consistency. Having the perfect grinder ensures you delicious coffee every time.
Yet, with so many options on the market, deciding which one to choose can be overwhelming. This is where we come in. We rounded up the five best grinders on the market. We also added a buying guide so you know exactly what to look for in a coffee grinder.
Let’s get started.
At a glance
- Baratza Encore: Best Overall
- OXO Brew: Best Value
- Hario Skerton Pro: Best Design
- JavaPresse: Best Handle Design
- HEIHOX: Best for Travel
The 5 Best Coffee Grinders for Percolators
Enjoying fresh ground coffee beans is one of the highlights of any coffee lover’s day. The best type of roast for percolators should be medium for a full-bodied, balanced cup of coffee.
Also, make sure the grinds are coarse for the perfect extraction process. Using coarse grounds means less surface area is exposed to hot water and steam. As a result, you get tasty, smooth coffee.
Here’s our product review on the best coffee grinder for percolators.
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
- USER FRIENDLY - A convenient, front-mounted pulse button, plus a simple ON/OFF switch make it easy to grind fresh coffee.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - Engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs that help you explore the extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French Press, and automatic brewers).
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind and durability to ensure the longevity users have come to expect from the Baratza brand. The Encore is backed by Baratza’s world class support and a 1 year warranty. 2020 Update has exact same trusted functionality with a sleek new exterior.
The Baratza Encore consists of a 40mm commercial-grade conical burr. This electric grinder is designed for both beginners and professionals alike.
We like that it’s minimalistic and easy to use. It also has a wide array of options, like the auto-grind and pulse buttons. Plus, the hopper has a capacity of 8 ounces, which is enough for making about 16 cups of coffee.
This is a grinder that performs wonderfully and provides consistent coffee grinds. With its 40 settings, you have the choice of any grind size you want.
- Large hopper capacity
- Durable design
- Auto-grind option
- Can be a bit loud
- Durable 40 millimeter stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- 15 settings (plus Micro settings) let you adjust your grind to suit your taste
- One touch start timer keeps your last setting, just push to grind
- Hopper holds up to 0.75 pounds of Coffee beans. Product Dimension - 12x7.4x16 inch
- Grounds container accommodates up to 110 grams (enough for 12 cups). Never use water or other liquids to clean the inside of the grinder/burrs
The OXO Brew relies on a conical burr to do all the hard work. This electric grinder has 15 settings to ensure the perfect grind size every time. It comes with a 4-ounce hopper, which is enough for making 12 cups of coffee.
One feature that caught our eye is the one-touch start timer. All you have to do is press start and wait a couple of minutes for the perfect grinds.
Just as impressive is its low operation noise. It also consists of an air-tight lid and a UV-blocking hopper to preserve the flavor and aroma.
- Great value for the price
- Air-tight lid
- UV-blocking hopper
- Coffee grounds tend to be inconsistent in size
- Skerton Pro: A favorite amongst coffee newcomers and professionals alike. Its compact size makes it the perfect grinder both travel and home. This grinder can make a full range of grind sizes, whatever your preference
- New and Improved: An update to the original Skerton-- The Skerton Pro features a modern update on the classic design with sleek lines, and with easier-to-adjust burr settings for improved grind consistency
- Perfect Grind: Ceramic conical burrs ensure a precise, uniform grind-- Our burrs transfer less heat and shave coffee beans versus cracking them like blade grinders. Ergonomically designed crank handle detaches for compact storage and easy travel
- Japanese Design: Designed by Hario in Japan to provide coffee lovers with easy access to freshly ground coffee. The Skerton Pro was designed to be portable, and easy to use even while traveling or on the go
- Product Details: 100g Coffee grounds capacity; W167×D95×H195mm; Heat-proof glass bowl is made in Japan; Mill, hopper lid, non-slip cover, lid are made in China
The Hario manual grinder is hailed for its functional handle design. It comes with a slip-free rubber base that reduces the risk of slips and falls.
We like how it gives you control over grind size and consistency. This is largely due to the ceramic conical burr that produces perfect grinds each time.
Another nice feature is it can hold over 3 ounces of coffee beans. That’s enough to make about seven cups of coffee.
- Beautiful design
- Slip-free rubber base
- Affordable price
- Not as lightweight as other brands
- Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector The Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse Coffee Company is equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind; great for all coffee brewing methods for that perfect cup of freshly ground coffee to start your day.
- Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use Convenient hand crank mechanism eliminates over 90% of the noise that an electric coffee bean grinder would produce; unlike electric burr grinders for coffee beans, JavaPresse hand coffee grinder requires no batteries, power, or long plastic cords to operate allowing you to enjoy fresh ground coffee beans at home or on the go; perfect for your next camping, hiking, or backpacking trip.
- A Freshly Ground Cup of Coffee to Start Your Day JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinders are equipped with a professional grade ceramic conical burr to heighten flavors of the most exquisite coffees in the world; providing an incredibly consistent grind for a variety of brews while making as little noise as possible; smell the fresh aroma of freshly ground coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, Aeropress, French Press or Pour Over Coffee Maker. Ground, Brew, and Enjoy!
- Quality Tested and Built to Last Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented ceramic coffee grinder burr is tested through three quality inspections to last 5x's longer than comparable stainless steel coffee burrs; combined with an impeccable stainless steel frame and convenient size, this coffee burr grinder is at the pinnacle of travel gadgets.
- Enhance your morning experience with the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder Features a built-in adjustable grind selector with 18 adjustable grind settings to craft your perfect cup; this manual burr grinder is built with a patented dual plated ceramic burr assembly that's great for all coffee brewing methods; comes with a manufacturer warranty & 100% money back guarantee.
The JavaPresse manual grinder features a conical burr and 18 grind settings. It has a capacity of 1.5 ounces, which makes about 2 to 3 coffee cups per grind.
Made of durable stainless steel, this grinder is resistant to rust and corrosion. Yet, what makes the JavaPresse truly special is its ergonomic handle that prevents hand fatigue.
We also like how lightweight and compact this manual grinder is. If you enjoy fresh ground coffee even when you’re away from home, this lightweight grinder is perfect.
- Ergonomic handle
- Doesn’t have grind settings
- ADJUSTABLE GRINDING - Built-in an adjustable grind Selector with over 24 click settings ensures you have 100% precise control over the coarseness of your pour over, drip, cold brew, French press, percolator, Espresso, perfect grind every time!
- DURABLE and EFFICIENT BURR - Fixed with dual bearing design, the 38mm stainless steel conical burr coffee grinder makes the grinding process more detailed and the coffee powder more uniform. The ergonomically designed crank handle provides a easy and smooth grind, and consistently eliminates noise.
- DISASSEMBLED & EASY to CLEAN - A simple twist can separate the parts for general cleaning, no tool needed! The aluminium alloy surface will avoid ground coffee sticking, a small brush is enough to clean it up.
- TAKE IT EVERYWHERE - The HEIHOX Manual Coffee Grinder only takes up little space(2.2X7 inch), compact and lightweight. Manual grinding, not battery, power or cords needed to operate. Ideal hand coffee grinder for you to brew fresh ground coffee for camping grinder, hiking, backpacking trip. This set comes with a Manual Coffee Grinder, a Cleaning Brush and a Drawstring Bag.
- PRODUCT GUARANTEES - Total Weight 2.01 pounds. Our coffee mill has passed a professional grade inspection, and been proved that its service life is 5 times longer than that of a general blade grinder. One-year warranty, you will definitely get 100% customer support.
The HEIHOX hand coffee grinder features a 38mm conical burr mill. Made of stainless steel with a comfortable handle, this grinder is sturdy and eco-friendly.
This manual grinder has a one-ounce capacity for making one cup of coffee. Its sleek design makes it perfect for travel and camping.
We like its built-in adjustable grind selector. It gives you over 24 settings for optimal control over grind size. Plus, it’s easy to disassemble and clean.
- Compact design
- Well-designed handle
- Built-in grind selector
- Doesn’t come with instructions
What to Look for in a Coffee Grinder for Percolators?
Having the perfect grinds is what makes all the difference. So, here are a few things to factor in when buying a coffee grinder.
Manual vs Electric
Hand grinders require manual labor. They’re better for grinding small quantities of coffee beans. Manual grinders are especially convenient to take along when traveling, camping, or work.
Electric grinders use less time and effort. Yet, they rely on electricity and can be noisy. They’re also not as compact as their manual counterparts.
Many grinders offer a ‘pulse’ function that gives you more control over the size of the grinds. Others come with an ‘auto grind’ button or dial. This means you don’t have to constantly press down on a button to operate the grinder.
Timers are another handy option if you usually grind large amounts at certain times during the day. Just set the timer, fill the grinder, and it’ll take care of everything else.
To make the most out of any percolator, you must get the grind size and consistency right. The best way to do that is with a conical burr.
These burrs are designed to work slower and quieter. This helps avoid static buildup, as well as prevent overheating. Conical burrs are ideal for producing coarse grinds, which are perfect for percolators.
On a grinder, the hopper is the container that holds the grinds. On average, hoppers should have a capacity of three to eight ounces grams of beans.
Take into account that the perfect coffee to water ratio is one tablespoon coffee grinds to one cup (four ounces) of water. This means that a hopper with a one-ounce capacity can produce enough coffee to make one cup.
Out of the hundreds of options on the market, these five are the best coffee grinders for percolators. We like them all because of their unique features and functions.
Yet, the one that really stands out is the Baratza Encore. It’s efficient, easy to use, and comes with multiple grind settings. Plus, it can make enough grinds for over 16 cups of coffee! If you’re looking for a manual grinder, your best bet would be the Hario Skerton Pro. This grinder’s modern design offers both comfort and convenience. It produces consistent grinds and has a pretty large hopper capacity.