Thinking about what food to serve in a family gathering or a work meetup might be confusing. Yet, when it comes to drinks, the answer comes easily. Coffee is your best bet!
To serve freshly brewed coffee in large gatherings, you need a convenient coffee urn.
To save you some effort, we’ve made a shortlist of the best coffee urns on the market in terms of quality, ease of use, and price.
At a Glance
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top picks:
Top 3 Coffee Urns for Big Gatherings
Hamilton Beach 45 Cup Coffee Urn – Best Overall
- Fast brewing, takes just 1 minute to brew each cup
- Brews enough for a crowd: makes 15 to 45 cups of hot, fresh Coffee, perfect for social gatherings and buffet style meals
- 2 Way dispenser for single cup or continuous filling
- Easy to fill: water level markings in the urn’s interior make measuring water a snap
- Ready to serve indicator light
Hamilton Beach’s coffee urn is featured on Amazon’s Best Sellers list, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s durable, efficient, spacious, and comes at an affordable price!
Hamilton’s strong point is how fast it brews your coffee (one minute per cup). With a capacity of 45 cups an hour, you can see how handy this can be at gatherings. Besides, there’s a light indicator that tells you that your coffee is brewed.
However, it doesn’t keep the coffee hot, which is a feature you might want to give up if your goal is to serve a lot of coffee cups at the same time and pay a reasonable price for that.
The Hamilton Beach boasts of its two-way dispenser that you can adjust to pour a single cup or multiple ones efficiently. We also love that its lid and filter basket are dishwasher safe, making it convenient for office or buffet settings.
- Reasonable price
- Inner markings to show the coffee level
- Two-way dispenser to serve a cup or a carafe
- Sleek look that’ll boost your serving table
- No heat retention
Maxi-Matic Elite Gourmet 30 Cup Coffee Urn – Best Value
- Stainless steel interior and exterior body
- Fast brewing, makes one cup each minute
- 2 way dispenser for single cup or continuous filling/ Coffee filter basket lifts out for easy dishwasher clean up - no paper filter needed
- 30-cup capacity with water level markings is perfect for large group settings
- Simple twist lock lid to prevent accidental spills
Who said you couldn’t get some tasty coffee for your gatherings at a reasonable price?
The Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic is your best option, rocking a sleek stainless steel body that looks amazing on the outside and has intricate water-level markings on the inside for ease of use.
Maxi-Matic brews one cup of coffee per minute with an overall capacity of 30 cups. Not only does it brew coffee quickly, but it also keeps it hot for a reasonable amount of time, which is a great asset compared to its counterparts.
To prevent accidental spills, this urn has a lid that twist-locks to prevent accidents. Similar to Hamilton Beach, the Maxi-Matic has two dispensers to allow for a single cup or continuous fillings.
- Dishwashable filter basket
- Keeps water hot for a good amount of time
- Brews quickly
- Great spout that fits large cups
- Not suitable for those who prefer ‘too hot’ coffee
SYBO SR-CP100C Coffee Maker Urn – Largest Capacity
- ✪ COMMERCIAL USE--Brew 110 cups (16 Liter / 4.2 Gallon) in 40 minutes. Built for catering service, ideal for caterers, restaurants, churches, schools, health care facilities, offices, and shops.
- ✪ DURABLE--Food grade 304 S/S body resists dents and maintains lustre over time. High quality spigot dispenser is installed for heavy duty usage.
- ✪ Easy TO FILL-- Coffee level markings in the urn’s interior make measuring water A snap. And easy for you to know when it is time for another refill. ✪ NO PAPER FILTER NEEDED--304 stainless steel filter basket is durable and easy to clean, no paper filter needed.
- ✪ ETL CERTIFIED--All parts are ETL Intertek certified. Safety and quality certified. Use under 110-120 voltage. ✪ SAFE TO USE--Automatic shut-off and keep warm function. Includes an easy-to-read “heat and keep-warm” indicator light that illuminates whenever coffee is ready to serve.
- ✪ 2 YEARS NEW REPLACEMENT WARRANTY--Buy with confidence, as we offer 30-days refund/replacement and 2 years new replacement warranty.
With an insane 16L capacity, SYBO’s coffee urn can brew 100 coffee cups in 40 minutes, making it the number one choice for catering coffee in big events like work conferences or community events.
The 304 stainless steel body is food-grade safe, rust and corrosion resistant, and super easy to clean. It has a metallic exterior with a sleek design that allows you to store the urn anywhere and the interior is low-maintenance with a pre-installed filter grid and a filter basket that’s easy to clean—no need for paper filters.
You can keep your coffee warm using this urn, thanks to the two indicator buttons, Heating and Keep Warm, which show you the working mode of the urn. Besides, the dispenser spigot is highly durable.
SYBO’s urn is designed with convenience in mind; it has inner markings to show the coffee level and a clear window gauge to show you from outside. On top of that, the lid is lockable to avoid spillage, and the handles are made of heat-proof plastic.
- Large capacity that caters to big events
- Retains heat pretty well
- Made of food-grade stainless steel
- Dishwasher-safe filter basket
- A bit noisy
How to Choose the Best Coffee Urn
Scanning the market, you’ll find a multitude of models with similar features. Yet, they’re not so similar to the expert eye. In this section, we’ll be guiding you through the factors you need to consider when looking for the best coffee urn.
You’re probably getting a coffee urn to cater for big gatherings, meetings, conferences, and the like. In this case, the urn’s capacity is crucial.
Don’t be fooled with advertised capacity. Measuring the capacity in liters is way more accurate than cups because the capacity of a cup changes from one person to another. The standard cup size used by coffee urn advertisers is about 5 ounces, which is smaller than we’re used to.
The larger, the better, does not apply here because a larger urn would be hard to transport. So, you need to assess your needs and the number of your guests accurately, then decide on the capacity you’ll need.
Coffee urns are made of Aluminum, stainless steel, or plastic.
We’d say stir away from plastic ones because they’re flimsy. Aluminum is lighter than stainless steel, but stainless steel is better at retaining heat and resisting corrosion. That’s why you’ll find all our recommended products are made of stainless steel.
This one is crucial. Some coffee urns have an active heating system that brews coffee and keeps it hot as long as it’s plugged in.
On the other side, passive heating systems have built-in insulation systems that keep the coffee warm for shorter periods.
If you need something to keep coffee warm for a long time, go for an actively heated coffee urn. If all you care about is a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee, then the passively heated urn would work nicely for you.
Ease of Use
The final deciding factor should be how user-friendly your coffee urn is.
Look for features like heat-resistant handles, lockable lids to reduce spillage, drip trays to keep the area clean, and built-in filters to save the hassle of using disposable paper filters. It’d be nice to have the lid and filter basket to be dishwasher-safe as well.
Coffee urns are a fantastic investment for your home or office if you host regular meetups and gatherings.
Given the previous factors, we recommend the Hamilton Beach coffee urn, as it’s efficient, user-friendly, and affordable.