It takes a coffee lover ages to figure out that the secret lies in the beans. If your beans are good, your coffee is good, and vice versa. To get freshly ground beans that taste heavenly, you need a reliable grinder that’ll grind your coffee right before you make it.
That way, you can store beans for as long as you like and still get a cup of fresh coffee in the morning.
Here, I’ll help you buy the best conical burr grinder for drip coffee by reviewing the market’s top options.
At a glance
- ENJOY OPTIMUM FLAVOR: Burr grinding provides a uniform grind to your fresh coffee beans with its 18-position grind selector – move the slide-dial from ultra-fine to extra-coarse to ensure your coffee grounds are exactly the way you prefer
- REMOVABLE FEATURES: Our 8 oz. bean hopper is fully removable as well as our built-in grind chamber for ease-of-use and accessibility during the cleaning process
- GRIND CHAMBER: Our removable grind chamber holds enough ground coffee for 32-cups, you won’t have to worry about grinding beans multiple times to brew coffee for the entire household
- ONE-TOUCH GRIND: The one-touch power bar is separate from the unit and complemented by an electric timer that automatically shuts off the unit when your grind cycle is complete
- CONVENIENT DESIGN: Our heavy-duty unit motor doesn’t take away space for additional design features; enjoy the convenience of cord storage and an additional scoop/cleaning brush to declutter, clean and maximize counter space
If you’re on a tight budget, you’ll hardly find better than the Cuisinart grinder. It comes with an inexpensive price tag, but it gives you 18 fine-tune grinding settings, making it suitable for most users.
It’s worth noting, though, that the machine isn’t the best option for espresso. It offers fine-texture grinds, but they’re not as good as those of high-end machines. You’d be better off with any other coffee type.
The Cuisinart grinder utilizes a flat ceramic burr grinder that works quickly and efficiently. It’s not as durable as steel burrs, but at least it won’t rust.
The machine has an electric timer that shuts the grinder down when the cycle is completed. That way, it doesn’t overheat, and you don’t have to keep watching it while it’s working.
Furthermore, the Cuisinart is fairly sleek, and it comes in a compact size that’ll easily fit anywhere. Despite that, it can hold up to 32 cups of coffee grounds, which is more than what’s expected from the fair price.
- Excellent value for money
- Large coffee grounds capacity
- Durable build
- A bit too noisy for some users
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- GO-TO ENTRY LEVEL GRINDER - Baratza’s best-selling grinder, with its small footprint, is THE choice for brewing coffee at home. Available in White or Black.
- USER FRIENDLY - A convenient, front-mounted pulse button, plus a simple ON/OFF switch make it easy to grind fresh coffee.
- 40 GRIND SETTINGS - Engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs that help you explore the extensive range of brew methods (espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French Press, and automatic brewers).
- WARRANTY/QUALITY PARTS - Hardened alloy steel burrs manufactured in Liechtenstein, Europe, plus a powerful DC motor. This combination creates a consistent grind and durability to ensure the longevity users have come to expect from the Baratza brand. The Encore is backed by Baratza’s world class support and a 1 year warranty. 2020 Update has exact same trusted functionality with a sleek new exterior.
The Baratza Encore conical grinder lies right in the middle of the price scale. It’s not affordable, but it won’t cost you a fortune either. On top of that, it offers excellent value for money with its 40 grind settings that guarantee satisfaction for all coffee lovers.
Whether you drink French coffee, Turkish coffee, or espresso, you’ll find your match somewhere between the 40 settings.
The Baratza is user-friendly and pretty easy to use. It features a pulse button that’s mounted on the front for easy access, along with an on-off knob on the side. The grinder comes in a reasonable size that’ll fit on any kitchen counter. You’ll also be able to store it in any cabinet if the height allows.
The machine’s burrs are made of alloy steel that promises durability and rust resistance. Plus, the DC motor works perfectly without a hitch, producing consistent grinds every time.
Unlike most small kitchen appliances, the Baratza is easy to maintain to maximize its value. Its issues are easy to repair, so it keeps working for the longest time possible.
- Consistent grounds every time you use it
- High durability thanks to the high-quality construction
- Excellent value for money
- Slower than a lot of similar machines
- 50mm commercial grade grinding burrs. Grinds directly into porta filter for simple operation
- Powerful 166-watt direct drive quiet operation motor. All units are tested prior packaging which might leave a small trace of coffee residue. Please refer the video under product images for overview
- Tinted hopper with a 0.65lb capacity. Please check the FAQ section under the Product Details
- Simple variable grinder adjustment control. For Trouble Shooting Steps refer on the page 32 in the user manual
- ATTENTION: Each unit is factory tested with real coffee beans and some coffee powder may still be present upon unboxing.
If you’re serious about your coffee grounds and you’re willing to pay some money for a perfect coffee grinder, the Rancilio Rocky is your go-to option. It has a sleek design, functionality, and durability. It’s hard to find a grinder like this one.
The Rancilio offers 50 grinding settings, so you’ll undoubtedly find your favorite grind size and thickness among them. The burr works quickly and efficiently, getting your freshly ground beans in a matter of minutes.
Despite its high power, the Rancilio doesn’t take much counter space, thanks to its compact dimensions and elongated design. It may not fit under kitchen cabinets because of its height, but it’s small enough to fit on any counter.
The only major downside of the Rancilio Rocky is the lack of a grinding chamber. For the high price, you’d expect the machine to at least have this basic feature. However, seeing as the machine already excels in most categories, we can let go of this one.
- Sleek and trendy design
- Compact dimensions to fit on any counter
- User-friendly and easy to use
- On the expensive side of the market
- PRECISION GRINDING: Commercial-grade, solid steel conical burrs with advanced cutting design
- WIDE GRINDING RANGE: From ultrafine Turkish to French Press coarse and everything in between
- PRESERVES AROMA: Gear reduction motor grinds slow with reduced noise and little static build-up
- LARGE CAPACITY: 8.8 ounce bean container and 4 ounce ground coffee container.Watts/Volts/Hertz: 100W/120V/60Hz
- EASY TO CLEAN: Removable upper burr allows access for easy cleaning
With its reasonable price and high functionality, the Capresso easily earned a place on my list. It doesn’t offer much in terms of looks, but it’s highly functional and reliable. It gives value back for every dollar you pay.
The Capresso comes fully equipped with steel burrs that’ll take a whole lot of abuse before showing signs of wear and tear. Steel is also rust-resistant, which means you won’t need to replace the burrs anytime soon. Paired with the gear reduction powerful motor, you can guarantee you’ll be getting your grinds just as you like them.
The grinder comes with four grinding settings: coarse, regular, fine, and extra fine. You can make slight adjustments to get the ground level you prefer, and the Capresso gets consistent results every time.
The machine’s dimensions are compact enough to be placed on any counter. Despite that, it can hold up to 8.8 ounces of beans, which is pretty decent for most users.
The Capresso’s housing is made of ABS plastic, so some wear and tear signs are expected. However, it’s a fair price to pay for the inexpensive price tag of the grinder.
- Consistent grinds every time you use it
- Suitable for tight budgets
- Fast grinding with minimal noise
- Limited grinding options
The Final Verdict
My top pick out of the best conical burr grinders for drip coffee is undoubtedly the Cuisinart DBM-8 coffee grinder. It produces minimal to no dust, and it’s an ideal choice for users on a tight budget.
Despite its affordable price, it produces consistent grinds and works reliably without a hitch. If you’re willing to pay some extra cash, the Rancilio Rocky is also an excellent option to consider. Its sleek design paired with its exceptional quality are worthy of passionate coffee drinkers!