Even if you have the best coffee maker out there, your coffee will still taste as good as your beans do. And, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that freshly ground coffee is much better than store-bought packages. It’s like the difference between fresh herbs and old, stale ones stored in your kitchen cabinet.
If you want to grind your coffee beans at home, but you’re on a tight budget, this list is your lifesaver. I’ll review the best economical coffee grinders on the market, so you don’t pay a fortune to drink a cup of good coffee.
At a glance
- Burr grinding provides uniform grind and optimum flavor
- 18-position grind selector - from ultra-fine to extra-coarse
- 4 to 18-cup slide dial
- Removable 8 oz. bean hopper. Heavy-duty motor, Convenient cord storage
Personally, I don’t think twice when I see the name ‘Cuisinart.’ The company has been leading the industry for ages, and it never disappoints. This coffee grinder is no exception.
The machine runs on a disc burr grinder that results in consistent bean size every time you use it. The grinding compartment is detachable, so you can easily clean it without wetting the electric base. It’s also BPA-free to eliminate the risk of toxicity.
The grinder features a 140-watt motor that works fastly and efficiently. However, it produces a lot of noise, which is one of the grinder’s few downsides. It shouldn’t be much of a problem if you grind when no one’s asleep, though.
The machine isn’t particularly large, but it’s larger than most options on this list, measuring 7.13 x 10.75 x 6 inches. You’ll still be able to fit it anywhere with ease, but it’s worth noting it in case you have a small kitchen.
The grinding chamber is large enough to allow 4–18 cups of beans at a time, which is larger than most budget options on this list. In addition to that, there’s an automatic shut-off feature that turns the machine off when it’s out of beans.
- Detachable grinding compartment for easier cleaning
- 18 grinding settings
- Large beans capacity
- Users reported the machine produces a lot of fines
- Coffee and spice grinder with 200-watt motor provides fast grinding
- Oval design and stainless-steel blades ensure uniform grinding
- Blades can grind coffee beans, spices, herbs, nuts, grains and more
- Lid activated safety switch for ease of use and more safety
- Grinds as finely or coarsely as desired
The Krups is a pretty basic coffee grinder, but it fulfills the needs of any buyer. You want freshly-ground beans, and you get just that. It’s also capable of grinding nuts, grains, and spices. So, you make use of it to the maximum.
The Krups grinder features a classic design with a transparent bean compartment. It comes fully equipped with a 200-watt motor that grinds your beans fastly and efficiently. The blades are made of stainless steel to guarantee durability and rust resistance as well. On top of that, it can hold beans up to three ounces, which is pretty decent for a single user.
The machine is small enough to fit anywhere, whether you’re putting it on the counter or storing it away. Plus, its lid comes with an activated safety switch to avoid it coming off when the machine is on.
The only downside to this grinder is the lack of grinding settings. Your beans’ size will depend on how long you run the machine, which takes a couple of trials to reach the perfect level.
- Compact size to fit anywhere
- Safety-switch for the led
- Highly versatile
- No grinding settings available
- The best cost-effective choice-TIMEMORE C2 Grinder. Stainless steel burr-CNC machining. Double bearing central axis positioning-uniform grinding particles. Burr size 38mm-efficient grinding of coffee beans.
- Convenient to carry : The body weighs 430g, while maintaining a light weight and a moderate sense of weight and luxury. It is ideal not only for home use but also for carrying outdoors or traveling.
- Roughness adjustment function : Adjustable in about 36 steps. You can easily grind the desired roughness from fine to coarse with the adjustment nut.
- Excellent Burr : The milling blade with 55-58HRC hardness in 5-axis CNC machining realizes uniform grinding with almost no excessively coarse grains. At the same time, the generation of fine powder is minimized.
- Labor-saving performance : The smoother movement is realized as the handle keeps turning for a while even if you release your hand due to the built-in bearing. In addition, a compact body of 52 mm that is easy to grasp even for small hands. and it is possible to grind lightly with very little force.
The Timemore coffee grinder falls on the expensive size of this list, but it’s still more affordable than most market options. Its relatively higher price comes with its advantages, though. For starters, it features a sharp stainless blade that results in uniform grain. Plus, the Z-shaped handle accounts for an easier, more comfortable hold for people with small hands.
You can use the Timemore to get any grind you prefer, thanks to its roughness adjustment nut that has 36 steps. You’d be surprised by how speedy it is, despite its manual operation. It grinds approximately one gram of beans in one second. We have the sharp stainless steel blades to thank for that.
The grinder is quite compact, making it ideal for trips and for storing anywhere. The small size also means you can grind with the least hand power. On top of that, there’s a built-in bearing that keeps the handle moving even after you release it. That way, you don’t need to make much effort to grind your beans.
- Best value for money
- Stainless steel components for durability
- Smooth handle movement
- It doesn’t grind for Turkish coffee or espresso
- [ Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector ] Equipped with over 18 manual grind settings to ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind making for the perfect cup of coffee to start your day.
- [ Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use ] Removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% the noise that an electric coffee bean grinder would produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your coffee burr grinder at home or on the go.
- [ A Fresh Ground Cup to Start Your Day ] JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder dispenses your fresh coffee grounds ready to brew - feel the coffee beans grind as you mill them the manual way! Smell the fresh aroma of your daily coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, Aeropress, French Press or Pour Over Coffee Maker. Ground, Brew, and Enjoy!
- [ Built to Last ] Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented Ceramic Burrs are tested through three quality inspections to last 5x's longer than comparable stainless steel burrs
- The JavaPresse Manual Burr Coffee Grinder was built with a patented professional grade ceramic conical burr to provide an incredibly consistent grind for a variety of brews. We are so confident in this grinder we stand behind it with a manufacture warranty & 100% money back guarentee
If you prefer traditional coffee grinders that work manually, this JavaPresse is hard to match. Its affordable price paired with the lack of motor makes it highly cost-efficient. You’ll hardly find a better budget option.
The JavaPresse grinder is compact and lightweight enough for you to take it anywhere. It’s the ideal grinder to take on camping and hiking trips. Not to mention, it doesn’t make any noise while you’re working it, contrary to electric grinders. If you’re an early bird, you can use it easily without bothering your sleeping family.
The grinder comes with 18 grinding settings, so you’ll undoubtedly find your preferred size and fineness. Additionally, cleaning it is a hassle-free process, thanks to the simple design.
Whether you want your beans ground fine or coarse, the grinder will do it for you. It takes some time to get used to its grinding settings, but you’ll get the hang of it eventually. The first few results may be inconsistent for that reason.
- 18 adjustable settings for grinding
- Easy to clean
- No noise when operating
- Some users mentioned its results are inconsistent
The Final Verdict
If you prefer manual coffee grinders, the TIMEMORE Chestnut grinder is one of the best you can find. Its stainless steel blade promises consistent bean grounds each time you use it, and it delivers just that. Additionally, its variety of settings will suit all coffee lovers. If you don’t have enough time to grind the coffee using your hands, you can opt for the Cuisinart DBM-8. It’s efficient, affordable, and reliable. It also offers a larger capacity than most budget options.