If you want to brew a delicious cup of pour-over coffee, buy a manual grinder. It’s convenient, consistent, and can potentially be more durable than its electric counterpart if well taken care of.
To help you find the best hand coffee grinder for pour-over coffee, we’ve reviewed some of the most well-received premium hand grinders on the market. We’ve also put together a buyer’s guide to help lead you to your next purchase!
At a Glance
3 Fantastic Manual Coffee Grinders for the Perfect Pour-Over Coffee
As follows are some of the best manual grinders you can buy today, chosen for their above-average grind quality, durability, and functionality!
1. 1Zpresso JX Manual Coffee Grinder – Best Overall
- ☕BEST SALE GRINDER - Looking for quality but budget grinder? 1Zpresso JX grinder worth it!! Durable 48mm conical burr makes greater grinding efficiency. Internal fixing between the burr and central shaft, impressive consistency grind.
- ☕DURABLE and STABILITY BURR– 48mm conical burr makes greater grinding efficiency. Internal fixing between the burr and central shaft, no more wobbly burr comeing loose. Consistency of performance grind.
- ☕EASY TO CLEAN - By dismantling pieces without tools, proper allows the best grinding results and the best taste in the cup. With assembly properly, you don't even need to recalibrate again. Bonus free cleaning brush included.
- ☕PRODUCT GUARANTEE - The grinder is calibrated and fixed by the 1Zpresso team, so there are no wobbly parts or burrs that come loose over time. The grinding capacity is 100-200KG of coffee for general use. A one-year limited warranty is included, you will definitely get 100% customer support. COFFEE IS LIFE - We think from the user's perspective and work on the products that you really need! Choose 1Zpresso for your brew set.
Boasting a stainless steel 48-millimeter conical burr and over 40 different grind settings, the 1Zpresso JX is hands down one of the best manual grinders in its price range.
The JX is supremely durable, made with only the highest quality stainless steel and aluminum alloy. Apart from its impressively consistent grind, the JX’s 48-millimeter steel allows you to easily grind about 25 grams of coffee in just under 35 seconds.
Moreover, the operation itself is incredibly smooth, so grinding beans is not only quick but also effortless!
The 1Zpresso JX isn’t the smallest grinder on this list, so if you’re traveling a lot and portability is an issue, you might want to go for its smaller counterpart: the 1Zpresso Mini Q2. Compared to JX’s 35-gram capacity (which yields about 3 cups of coffee), the Mini Q2 only has 20.
- Smooth operation
- Solid aluminum housing
- Consistent grind
- Backed with a one-year limited warranty
- Above-average price
2. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder – Best Budget-Friendly Pick
- ENJOY THE PERFECT CUP OF FRESH COFFEE ― The Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse Coffee Company has a built-in adjustable ceramic burr with over 18 manual grind settings to ensure you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your grind. This hand coffee grinder is great for all brewing methods to enjoy the perfect cup of fresh coffee and espresso in the morning.
- CONVENIENT, PORTABLE AND EASY-TO-USE ESPRESSO GRINDER ― The hand crank coffee grinder mechanism eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric coffee bean grinders produce. Unlike electric burr grinders for coffee beans, the patented JavaPresse dual plated manual ceramic burr coffee grinder assembly requires no batteries, power or long plastic cords to operate. This allows you to enjoy fresh ground coffee beans at home or on the go as the best camping coffee grinder.
- THE BEST WAY TO START YOUR DAY ― This manual coffee grinder is equipped with a professional grade ceramic conical burr for an incredibly consistent coffee grind that heightens flavors of the most exquisite beans in the world. Smell the fresh aroma of fresh ground coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine, AeroPress, French Press or pour over coffee maker!
- TREAT YOURSELF TO THE HIGHEST QUALITY MANUAL COFFEE GRINDER THAT IS BUILT TO LAST ― Crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, our patented ceramic handheld coffee grinder burr is tested through three quality inspections to last 5 times longer than comparable stainless steel coffee burrs. Combined with an impeccable frame and convenient size, this is the pinnacle travel coffee grinder that is a great gift for yourself or a friend.
- ENHANCE YOUR MORNING WHILE MAKING AN IMPACT AROUND THE WORLD ― Your deliciously crafted cup of coffee from our manual coffee grinder is helping empower coffee farmers to chase a brighter future. A portion of our profits go towards positively impacting our partner’s coffee supply chain and their local communities. Our mission hinges on one fundamental idea: when we care, happiness flows and everyone wins. Including you with this hand coffee bean grinder by JavaPresse.
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is easily among the most recognizable hand grinders on the market, and this is by no means unwarranted!
Costing over half the price of premium manual grinders, the JavaPresse is designed to impress in both appearance and functionality.
It’s smooth, quiet, and equipped with 18 grind settings. When you look inside the grinder’s housing, you’ll be greeted with a patented dual plated ceramic burr that’s not only durable but immensely long-lasting.
Despite its slim body, the JavaPresse can actually hold up to 40 grams of coffee in its chamber. That’s about five cups per grind. If you’re planning to take a grinder on a week-long family camping trip, the JavaPresse might be for you.
- Easy-to-clean design
- Large housing capacity
- Compact and slim frame
- Takes a while to grind the beans
3. Timemore Chestnut C2 Manual Coffee Grinder – Best Design
- The best cost-effective choice-TIMEMORE C2 Grinder. Stainless steel burr-CNC machining. Double bearing central axis positioning-uniform grinding particles. Burr size 38mm-efficient grinding of coffee beans.
- Convenient to carry : The body weighs 430g, while maintaining a light weight and a moderate sense of weight and luxury. It is ideal not only for home use but also for carrying outdoors or traveling.
- Roughness adjustment function : Adjustable in about 36 steps. You can easily grind the desired roughness from fine to coarse with the adjustment nut.
- Excellent Burr : The milling blade with 55-58HRC hardness in 5-axis CNC machining realizes uniform grinding with almost no excessively coarse grains. At the same time, the generation of fine powder is minimized.
- Labor-saving performance : The smoother movement is realized as the handle keeps turning for a while even if you release your hand due to the built-in bearing. In addition, a compact body of 52 mm that is easy to grasp even for small hands. and it is possible to grind lightly with very little force.
Rocking an industrial-chic look with its textured aluminum cylindrical body, the C2 is a delightful mix of luxury and minimalism.
Weighing only 430 grams, this grinder is supremely lightweight and portable. Its compact body is slim and easy to hold even by those with small hands. It has a grinder capacity of 25 grams, making it suitable for single or double-cup coffee drinkers.
The C2 doesn’t disappoint in terms of adjustability, either. With 36 different grind settings, you can brew just about any coffee under the sun, from medium-coarse for pour-over to extra fine for Turkish coffee.
- Stunning design
- Textured pattern facilitates grip
- Micro-adjustment system allows for a uniform grind
- Quick and effortless grinding
- Grind settings can be tricky to workout
Factors to Consider When Buying a Hand Coffee Grinder
The following are some of the key features to consider when buying a hand coffee grinder:
Manual coffee grinders come in a variety of hopper sizes and basket capacities, usually ranging anywhere between 20-40 grams. The higher the gram capacity, the larger the grinder size.
If you’re planning to brew more than two to three cups of coffee at a single serving, you might want to buy a coffee grinder with a 30-40 gram capacity like the 1Zpresso JX Manual Coffee Grinder.
On the other hand, if you’re planning to use your grinder on the go, it’s best to search for an ultra-slim and light manual grinder. Slim grinders usually have a 20-30 gram capacity, similar to the Timemore Chestnut C2 Manual Coffee Grinder.
You don’t want to buy a manual coffee grinder with minimal settings. If you’re someone who loves experimenting and customizing your brew, search for a grinder that allows you to easily adjust the grind. Here are the common grind settings for different coffee makers:
- Course: French Press, cold brew
- Medium-coarse: Pour-over
- Medium: Siphon coffee maker, machine drip
- Fine grind: Stovetop espresso maker
- Extra fine: Turkish coffee pot
If you’re planning to use your manual coffee grinder for the sole purpose of making pour-over coffee, make sure it comes with a course, medium-course, and medium setting.
Otherwise, it’s best to buy a coffee maker with over five grinder settings so you’ll have the freedom to grind your coffee however you like.
Manual coffee grinders are usually available in three different materials, including plastic, steel, and ceramic. Stainless steel is crisp and long-lasting, ceramic is classy and elegant, and plastic is functional and affordable.
Stainless steel is an excellent choice in terms of durability, practicality, and ease of use. Ceramic and plastic aren’t as heavy-duty and may break when handled incorrectly, but they’re visually appealing and relatively budget-friendly. This makes them suitable for home grinders.
When it comes to the grinder’s burrs, you’ll be given two options: steel or ceramic.
Stainless steel burrs are a lot sharper than ceramic burrs, therefore resulting in more precise grinds. They’re corrosion-resistant, as well. Unfortunately, steel grinders lose their sharpness faster than ceramic burr grinders, shortening their lifespans.
Ceramic burr grinders, while not as sharp or consistent as stainless steel burrs, almost indefinitely retain their original sharpness. They don’t stand up well against falls and big impacts, but they’re long-lasting if they’re well taken care of.
Though buying pre-ground coffee is infinitely simpler, nothing beats the taste, scent, and quality of freshly ground coffee beans. In terms of design, quality, and grind consistency, our pick for the best hand coffee grinder for pour-over is the 1Zpresso JX. Apart from its smooth operation, the JX is immensely durable, making it a smart choice for pour-over coffee lovers!