It seems like there’s a coffee shop popping up on every corner. Still, nothing compares to a home-brewed pot of delicious coffee.
Yet, if you think you need to shell out big bucks to get a decent coffee maker, you need to rethink your options. There are many terrific possibilities on the market. You just need to know the right place to look.
Start with our list of the best low-budget coffee makers. Then, use our buying guide to help you find the most suitable coffee machine for you. All our choices are affordable and ensure that you get a great value for the price.
If you’re in a rush here are our top picks:
The 5 Best Low-Budget Coffee Makers
The five choices below are a wonderful reminder that low-budget doesn’t have to mean low-quality or flimsy.
On our list, you’ll find several traditional drip makers. There are also a couple of hands-on options. These are typically designed for those who prefer to immerse themselves in the coffee-making process.
1. Hamilton Beach 46310 – Top Pick
- Front access for easy filling fill the water tank from the front of the machine, not just the back front-access makes it easy to keep the coffee maker under the cabinet when in use
- Swing out brew basket easier to fill and keep clean than a top load basket. Nonstick hot plate
- Programmable clock set your brew time and strength in advance, and get peace of mind with a 2 hour automatic shutoff
- Automatic pause & serve with no mess pour
- Bold, regular & 1 to 4 cup brewing options while you can make to 12 cups, the 1 - 4 cup option optimizes the brew cycle for smaller servings
The 12-cup Hamilton Beach 46310 is fully programmable, with options like timers, Brew Pause, and self-cleaning. It also has a Brew Selector with three brewing options.
Not only that but there’s a two-hour automatic shut-off function. With this safety function, you don’t have to worry about fire hazards or burning the coffee because you forgot to turn off the machine.
We especially like the Front-fill water tank and pull-out filter basket. They’re easier to access and clean compared with top-fill compartments. This makes it easier to store the unit under the kitchen cabinets without having to pull it out to reach the top-load basket.
- Auto shut-off
- Easy-access water tank and filter basket
- Fully programmable
- Brew pause
- Not dishwasher safe
2. CHULUX Upgrade – Best Single-Serve
- 【Start A Simple Coffee Life-Single Serve Coffee Maker】CHULUX one cup coffee machine is easy to operate and clean, compatible with most single cup pods and refillable coffee filters. You only need to wait 3 minutes to enjoy you delicious hot coffee. This compact coffee brewer can accompany with you in every travel.
- 【Enjoy Single Coffee Time-12oz Capacity & 3mins Brewing】The max water capacity is 12oz, and the height of water outlet is matched with your cup, which is between 3.4 in to 5.3 in (without dripping tray). With the powerful pumping system, the coffee temperature can reach 160 ℉, you just wait 3mins, then can enjoy your hot fragrant coffee.
- 【Save Your Time and Labour-Easy to Operation & Clean】One touch operation, you just need fill with 12oz water (Not less than 5oz), then install single coffee cup capsule or a cup filter with coffee ground, last press the button is OK. After finish brewing, the coffee will automatically flowing into the cup and auto shut off. Removable drip tray is easy to clean.
- 【Save Your Space- Compact Size & Light Weight】Size-5.12" W x 8.9"D x 9.7" H, Net Weight-2.8 LBS. This coffee machine saves counter space, which is very suitable for small places, like room, office, RV, hotel, apartment. You can conveniently carry in your every trip.
- 【A Happy Drinking Coffee Experience 】The water tank is made of BPA-Free safe material, let brew coffee more safe. Please clean the cup coffee maker following manual regularly to enjoy a better coffee time.
The CHULUX single-serve coffee maker is compact with a modern design. This machine is ideal for using single-cup pods or coffee grounds placed in reusable filter cups.
Besides adding a touch of elegance to your kitchen counter, the CHULUX is easy to use and maintain. Plus, it’s safe and reliable, thanks to its auto shut-off function.
Another nice feature is that all parts are made of BPA-free plastic. The part we like most is the drip tray that works to minimize spills. You can remove it and place it in the dishwasher, which makes the cleaning process quick and hassle-free.
- Removable drip tray
- Compact design
- Auto shut-off
- Not as durable as other brands
3. Secura French Press Coffee Maker – Best French Press
- Secura stainless steel French Press coffee maker is made from top quality 18/10 stainless steel, both the interior and exterior. It is made to outlast other coffee maker.
- 3-LAYERED STAINLESS STEEL FILTER STRUCTURE traps the smallest coffee grounds to produce an exceptional full-bodied flavor.
- BONUS Stainless Steel Screen included with this French coffee press. Filter screen is easy to dissemble and clean. Stack one or more screens together gives your coffee espresso more refined taste.
- This French press maker comes with Cool touch handle and knob for comfortable and safe pouring.
- The capacity of Secura Stainless-steel French coffee press is 34 OUNCE/ 1000ML. All the parts of this French coffee maker are DISHWASHER SAFE.
The Secura French press is made from 18/10 stainless steel. Its double-wall construction helps retain coffee temperatures for an hour. The ergonomic handle and lid knob are heat-resistant.
This French press holds 34 ounces of coffee. It’s the perfect size for large family gatherings or get-togethers. Your Intuition Picks Up on Real Threats
If you want a smaller batch, that can be done too. Just measure the coffee and hot water accordingly, and you’re set.
- Modern design
- Keeps coffee warm for up to one hour
- Layered steel mesh filters
- There’s no water window to see the coffee level
4. AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker – Best for Travel
- Popular with coffee enthusiasts worldwide, the patented AeroPress is a new kind of coffee press that uses a rapid, total immersion brewing process to make smooth, delicious, full flavored coffee without bitterness and with low acidity.
- Good-bye French Press! The rapid brewing AeroPress avoids the bitterness and high acidity created by the long steep time required by the French press. Plus, the AeroPress paper Microfilter eliminates grit and means clean up takes seconds.
- Makes 1 to 3 cups of American coffee per pressing in about a minute, and unlike a French press, it can also brew espresso style coffee for use in lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso based drinks.
- Perfect for home kitchen use, the AeroPress is lightweight, compact, portable and durable, making it also ideal for traveling, camping, backpacking, boating and more!
- Includes the AeroPress press, funnel, scoop, stirrer, 350 microfilters and a filter holder. Phthalate free and BPA free. Mug not included. Assembled measurements: 9 1/2" h X 4" w X 4" d
The first thing you notice is that the AeroPress doesn’t look anything like your traditional coffee maker. It’s a hand-pressed machine that brews up to three cups of espresso or American coffee in under a minute.
The AeroPress uses fine grounds to get as much extraction as possible. Plus, the filter is super-fine to keep as much grit out of the coffee as possible.
We like that it comes with 350 paper filters that can be rinsed and reused a couple of times. It’s eco-friendly and saves you money as well.
- Portable and lightweight
- Super-fine filter
- Fast brewing time
- Produces less acidic coffee compared with French press and drip coffee makers
- Hand-wash only
- The original moka coffee pot: Moka Express is the original stovetop espresso maker, it provides the experience of the real Italian way of preparing a tasteful coffee, its unique shape and the inimitable gentleman with moustache date back to 1933, when Alfonso Bialetti invented it.
- Made in Italy: it is Made in Italy and its quality is enhanced by the patented safety valve which makes it easy to clean and its ergonomic handle, available in many sizes and suitable for gas, electric and induction (with the Bialetti induction adapter plate)
- How to prepare the coffee: fill the boiler up to the safety valve, fill it up with ground coffee without pressing, close the moka pot and place it on the stovetop, as soon as Moka Express starts to gurgle, turn the fire off and coffee will be ready
- One size for each need: Moka Express sizes are measured in Espresso Cups, coffee can be enjoyed in Espresso Cups or in larger containers
- Cleaning instructions: The Bialetti Moka Express must only be rinsed with clean water after use, with no detergents, the product is not to be washed with a dishwasher as it will be irremediably damaged and the taste of coffee altered
Featuring a classic aluminum design, the Bialetti has an ergonomic, heat-resistant handle. It also comes with a patented safety valve to maintain ideal pressure during brewing.
The Bialetti coffee maker is quick and efficient with this safety function You All you have to do is fill the base with water, then add the filter and coffee. Next, attach the top to the base, place it on the stove, and wait for the water to boil.
Brewing takes about five minutes and makes about 4 ounces of espresso. It’s recommended that you use a medium to fine coffee grounds to get bold, consistent flavors each time.
- Patented safety valve
- Makes robust coffee in a few minutes
- Stay-cool handle
- High-quality aluminum
- Must be hand-washed after every use
What to Look for in a Low-Budget Coffee Maker
We know how important it is to have an affordable brewer that can still make great-tasting coffee. So, we put together the most important features to look out for in a low-budget coffee maker.
Bulk vs. Single-Serve
The first thing you have to decide when buying a coffee maker is buying a bulk or single-serve machine. If there are several coffee-lovers in your home or workplace, a bulk coffee machine is more practical.
However, if you enjoy making one cup of coffee at a time, then a single-serve machine is the ideal choice. Most single-serves have a small footprint, as well as less brewing time.
Not all low-budget coffee makers are programmable. Manufacturers tend to use less expensive circuitry to be able to sell them at that low price range.
That being said, there are affordable coffee brewers that come with basic programming controls. The most common is the Brew Options selector and Auto-Pause function.
Glass carafes are more common, especially on drip coffee machines. Yet, they tend to be more fragile and can break easily.
Stainless steel carafes, on the other hand, are shatter-proof. They also offer thermal insulation, which keeps coffee warm for longer.
Ease of Use
It’s nice having a coffee maker with user-friendly features. One example is a water window with measuring lines. Other handy features include being dishwasher-safe and having an automatic shut-off function.
Our Top Pick
The Hamilton Beach 46310 is the overall best low-budget coffee maker on the market. This electric coffee machine is simple to use and easy to maintain. The best part is it’s fully programmable to meet all your coffee-drinking needs.
A close second is the AeroPress. It requires a bit more elbow grease than other machines. Yet, your hard work pays off when you have that hot cup of delicious coffee in your hand. Plus, its compact, lightweight design means you can take it with you anywhere.