Picking a reliable espresso machine is a big decision. There are lots of options available, and you want to pick a machine that delivers what it promises.
Among the features you want to consider, there’s a choice between espresso machines with pressurized and non-pressurized filters. In this article, we’ll suggest some of the best non-pressurized espresso machines that you can use to enjoy the perfect espresso shot. So, keep on reading.
At a glance
Reviews of the Best Non-pressurized Espresso Machines
Non-pressurized espresso machines grant you more control over how your espresso shots are brewed. These machines are more suitable for those who want to customize their coffee and adjust the setting for the best taste and texture. Check out our top picks.
- Get up to 24 bags of coffee beans with the purchase of this machine from September 19, 2022 to October 3, 2022. Visit beanz.com/us/en/promotions/coffee-day-2022.html to redeem. T&C apply.
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- Dose Control Grinding: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- Optimal Water Pressure: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup. Grind Settings: 16 precision grind settings
- Precise Espresso Extraction: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
With an elegant stainless steel exterior and high-quality components, this machine will be the perfect choice for every espresso lover. It combines all the features to help you enjoy a fully brewed espresso shot with a rich crema and incredible flavor.
The machine features an integrated conical burr grinder to deliver your freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter. You can easily adjust the size of the grounds for the best brewing experience, and you can enjoy single or double shots on demand.
Thanks to the low-pressure infusion, the coffee grounds will be slowly extracted to ensure better extraction for a balanced taste. You can digitally adjust the temperature to guarantee maximum extraction to retain the flavor.
It features a powerful steam wand to deliver microfoam milk to create latte art. It also features dual-wall filter baskets and comes with a brush tool. The stainless steel milk jug retains the temperature of the milk for an extended period.
After you’re done brewing your coffee, cleaning the machine won’t be an issue as it comes with a cleaning disc and tablets. However, this machine is a bit loud compared to other models.
What We Like
- Stainless steel machine with high-quality components.
- Built-in grinder with different grinding settings.
- Low-pressure infusion for better extraction.
- Ability to prepare single and double shots with digital temperature adjustments.
- Milk frother to create latte art.
What We Don’t Like
- Espresso machine is loud.
- Easily make 2 delicious coffee drinks from fresh beans, exactly the way you like it with a touch of a button
- The Classic Milk Frother dispenses steam, allowing you to prepare silky smooth milk froth for your cappuccino or latte macchiato - with only two parts, it is also easy to clean
- The irresistible taste and aroma of coffee from fresh beans is just one touch away - the intuitive touch display allows you to easily select your favorite coffee
- The Aroma Extract system intelligently strikes the optimum balance between brewing temperature and aroma extraction by keeping the water temperature between 194 and 208°F, while regulating the water flow rate, so you can enjoy delicious coffees
- The brew group is the heart of every fully automatic coffee machine, and should be cleaned regularly - the removable brew group allows you to clean it thoroughly just by rinsing it under the tap
For a busy household, this machine will be the perfect choice as it allows you to brew up to 12 cups of espresso. It features an intuitive touch function to help you select your favorite coffee drink and comes with a milk frother to add velvety milk to your latte or cappuccino.
You can enjoy your favorite coffee beans as the machine comes with a built-in grinder with 12 different grinding settings. The ceramic grinders reduce heat buildup to prevent your coffee from oxidizing. The Aroma Extract System delivers optimum extraction while controlling the water flow rate and temperature.
The brew group is removable for easy cleaning, but you need to clean the machine regularly to prevent scaling that affects the taste of your brewed coffee. For this reason, you need to invest in cleaning accessories to make sure that the machine will work as expected. This adds to the overall cost of the coffee maker.
What We Like
- Intuitive to touch espresso machine.
- Built-in grinder and milk frother.
- Ceramic burrs to eliminate heat buildup.
- 12 grinding settings.
What We Don’t Like
- Needs regular cleaning.
- The cleaning accessories cost more money.
- Rugged Brushed Stainless Steel housing
- Commercial three-way solenoid valve. Capacity water tank - 2,1 liter
- Commercial-style 58mm chrome-plated brass portability and brew group
- Commercial steam wand. Rotating steam want movement type
- Easy-to-use rocker switch controls
Despite the high price of this espresso machine, it’s an excellent choice for someone who brews coffee all the time. It features a 2.1-liter water tank and a commercial-grade steam wand to help you create latte art.
The rugged brushed stainless steel housing and chrome-plated brew group guarantee long-lasting performance. All the settings can be adjusted using switch controls.
Compared to other espresso machines, this one is quieter and features rapid heating for optimum extraction. Your espresso shot will be brewed in 5 minutes, and your steam will be ready in 30 seconds.
This machine has a 3-way solenoid valve to relieve the pressure of the coffee, so you can clean the machine easily. The light indicators will tell you which functions are in use, so you can have more control over your coffee. However, cleaning and descaling this machine can be a little tricky.
What We Like
- Durable stainless steel construction.
- Large water tank.
- Quiet operation.
- Rapid heating.
- Light indicators to show which function is working.
What We Don’t Like
- Cleaning and descaling the machine can be a little tricky.
What is the Difference Between Pressurized and Non-Pressurized Espresso Machines?
In order to have good extraction of the oils of your coffee grounds, finer grounds are usually used to prepare espresso shots. Non-pressurized filters will work with fine grounds as they add the resistance to build about 8 or 9 bars of pressure in the basket to force the gases out and begin the extraction process.
Pressurized filters work better with coarser coffee grounds as the very fine grounds can block the portafilter and eventually cause the machine to stop working. At the same time, coffee won’t be fully extracted, so you will end up with an espresso shot that wasn’t optimally extracted.
This is why real coffee lovers prefer non-pressurized filters because they can customize the extraction process to guarantee the best taste and flavor. Moreover, this extraction method retains the oils in your coffee grounds to create a rich crema.
How to Choose the Best Non-Pressurized Espresso Machine
There are lots of varieties when it comes to espresso makers, but here are a few things that you need to think about if you’re shopping for a non-pressurized espresso machine.
Water Heat and Flow
You need to make sure that the machine is able to deliver at the right temperature and flow. Without a pressurized portafilter, this will be the only way to extract the oils and create rich crema.
Without finer coffee grounds, cleaning an espresso machine becomes a must. Make sure that your machine comes with all the cleaning tools or is compatible with some of them to protect it from being clogged.
A non-pressurized espresso machine is a right choice for someone who needs to have more control over their espresso shots. We chose the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine as our top choice because it delivers low-pressure infusion for maximum extraction. There are other options on our list that will work for you if you don’t like this one.