The French Press is a coffee brewing device and method that uses steep brew to produce coffee. It’s a manual method, so you’ll perform all the steps of brewing instead of depending on an electric machine to do all the work for you.
One step you can skip, however, is grinding your own beans. All you need is the right coffee grounds, and we’re here to help you find the best pre-ground coffee for French Press. So without further ado, here are our 5 top recommendations.
If you’re in a rush, here are our top picks:
- GREAT TASTING Coffee for over 100 years – Winey notes and a rich, elegant aroma with a full-bodied finish. All of roasting is done at our own facility in Maryland, USA
- CLASSIC MEDIUM ROAST: The Original is our oldest recipe and most iconic roast
- BOLD FLAVORS: Delivers sweet and fruity notes with a well-balanced finish. State of Readiness: Ingredient
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: 100% Arabica beans for premium quality and taste, Kosher certified
- COMMITMENT TO ENVIRONMENT: Through partnerships with different coffee organizations, we hope to support the coffee farming community with the goal to help improve the quality of life for all people involved in the coffee supply chain
Kicking off our list with a widely popular option, the Eight O’Clock Ground Coffee can be the perfect addition to your day if you prefer to wake up to a well-balanced cup of coffee.
This company has been in the business for more than 150 years, making quality coffee with a focus on flavor consistency that shows in every bag. Here, we’re particularly talking about their most iconic version, The Original, which also happens to be their oldest recipe.
The Original pre-ground coffee offers a classic coffee experience, free from unnecessary extras to let you savor each sip without palate distractions It’s made from 100% Arabica coffee beans, roasted right on the lands of the United States.
The flavor profile of this ground coffee is sweet with notes of fruits, topped off with a smooth, full-bodied finish. It’s also kosher certified and sold in a bagged package with integrated seals to lock in the freshness.
- Well-balanced taste
- Fruity notes
- The bag comes with freshness seal
- Not sold in smaller bags
- DAY STARTER GROUND COFFEE: Get a pound of power & energy every morning with our dark roast coffee ground. This dark coffee is made of robust bold flavors. Wake up your senses with our dark coffee ground that's rich, intense, black and bold coffee.
- QUALITY BREW COFFEE GROUNDS DARK: Transform your basic cup into an intense coffee. A sip of this best coffee will make you say yes to more coffee grinds! Feel alive every day with our Vahalla Java Odinforce blend artisanal coffee ground dark roast!
- STRONG COFFEE GROUND: Enjoy otherwordly caffeine from the best ground coffee you'll ever taste! This ground dark roast coffee is made with premium arabica & robusta beans from volcanic Indonesia & the nutrient-rich soils of Central & South America.
- GODLY COFFEE POWDER: Brew our best coffees made with rich flavor. This coffee ground bold has earthy notes of nuts melted into chocolate. Truly a gourmet coffee that's extra-caffeinated to make you powerful & strong to hit the grounds running!
- DEATH WISH COFFEE PROMISE: We hope you enjoy our ground coffee premium like many happy customers because we'll only be happy if you are! If you don't love it, tell us & we'll refund you. Trying out our fine ground coffee is risk-free! Get yours now!
With thousands of positive reviews raving about its high quality, the Valhalla Java Ground Coffee is the go-to choice for many people in need of a nice, toasty cup of coffee that’s not too weak or too strong.
Produced by Death Wish Company, Valhalla Java Ground Coffee is made in honor of the legendary guitarist Zakk Wyde. The company uses Arabica and Robusta coffee beans sourced from Indonesia, Central, and South America.
The premium beans are then specially roasted so you can enjoy the taste of an artisan medium-dark roast packed with intense flavors.
With French Press, the Valhalla Java Ground Coffee can brew a smooth, bold cup of coffee with notes of nuts and chocolate for a delicious experience. What’s more, its coffee beans are USDA and Fair Trade certified organic, so you’d be supporting local growing communities while you’re at it.
- Has a rich medium-dark roast
- Content high levels of caffeine
- Fair Trade and USDA certified
- Relatively pricey
- Original French Roast: This delicious blend of medium dark coffee beans is roasted and blended with the finest imported French chicory for a pleasantly authentic finish to a New Orleans Meal
- Medium-Dark Roast Ground Coffee: Our bold medium-dark roast coffee blended with imported French chicory for a caramelized sweetness Enjoy this quintessential New Orleans coffee made with 100% Arabica coffee beans
- New Orleans Coffee: Our blends are bold, rich and handcrafted by master roasters in small batches, carefully sourced from the highest-quality Arabica Beans for a flavor as soulful as the city we call home
- Since 1890: Heritage is what inspired our unique products that America has enjoyed Our handcrafted coffee varieties include whole beans, ground coffee, single serve K Cups, flavored coffees, cold brew and much more
- A Better Tomorrow: We help provide social, economic and environmental enhancements for farmers and the communities we work with thanks to our Sustainable Cup Project seedling program
French Market Coffee is largely praised for using 100% Arabica coffee beans in all their top-rated blends, and the French Roast version is no exception. This delicious medium-dark pre-ground coffee is roasted and blended with the finest imported French chicory to give you a pleasantly authentic flavor that best represents New Orleans.
This high-quality ground coffee is handcrafted by experts with over 125 years of experience in the industry. Their French Roast variety is bold and rich with notes of caramelized sweetness worked into the flavor profile, which is ideal for French Press.
The roasting process is done in small batches to ensure you receive coffee that’s as fresh as possible. It’s also gluten-free and kosher certified by the Orthodox Union.
- Rich coffee
- Has a caramelized sweetness
- Roasted in small batches
- Easy to open can
- Black coffee enthusiast may not like this
- PREMIUM GROUND COFFEE: One 20 oz bag of Gevalia House Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee
- OUR STORY: Founded in Sweden in 1853, we've spent the last 150 years perfecting the perfect cup
- MAINTAIN FRESHNESS: Resealable bag of ground coffee with fresh lock tie maintains flavor and aroma
- OUR BEANS: Each bag is crafted from 100% Arabica coffee beans sourced from around the world
- COFFEE THE SWEDISH WAY: All of our ground coffee bags use slow roasted, snap cooled beans to lock in flavor and aroma
Another option that pairs well with French Press is the Gevalia House Blend Ground Coffee. This can be an excellent choice if you’re someone who likes their coffee on the lighter side.
Made with 100% pure Arabica coffee beans, these grounds have been medium roasted to deliver a balanced, bright flavor and release a pleasant aroma that’ll fill your home.
With Frech Press, the House Blend Ground Coffee will brew you a smooth, medium-bodied cup of coffee with subtle undertones of savory caramel and citrus. It’s rich yet refreshing, offering a delicious aftertaste that’s free from bitterness.
What’s more, this pre-ground coffee easily blends with milk, so you can treat yourself to a latte or cappuccino whenever you feel like it. The Gevalia House Blend Ground Coffee is kosher, available in a 20-ounce bag with a built-in seal to preserve freshness for a long time.
- Delicious caramel and citrus notes
- Mixes well with milk
- The bag seals in freshness
- Not for strong coffee lovers
- PRIVATE RESERVE KONA: Our medium roast private reserve 100% Kona ground coffee makes a delicious cup with a smooth, full bodied flavor.
- ALOHA FROM HAWAII: Royal Kona Coffee features 100% pure Kona coffee milled at our facility in Captain Cook in the Kona region on Hawaii's Big Island, right in the heart of the growing region of one of the world's most famous coffees.
- TASTE OF HAWAII: This exquisite private reserve coffee is always fresh and offered to you by the largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world, Hawaii's leading supplier of coffee to the Island's hotels, restaurants, and retail stores.
- ONLY THE BEST: Each premium Kona bean is selected from the best of the Kona harvests and then expertly roasted to produce a gourmet cup of Kona coffee.
- SINCE 1969: We've been roasting premium 100% Kona and 10% Kona blend coffee since 1969. Every bag of our Kona is fresh and packed with delightful, authentic flavor.
Last but not least, the Royal Kona Hawaiian Kona Coffee Ground is for serious coffee lovers who don’t mind a splurge. It brings a premium, flavorful cup of coffee from the heart of the Hawaiian Islands right to the comfort of your home.
This company has been in the business of roasting Kona coffee beans since 1969, so you know you’re getting a delightfully authentic experience with each bag. Not to mention, it’s the largest roaster of Kona coffee across the globe, supplying most of the island’s hotels, restaurants, and retailers.
Made with 100% Kona coffee beans, this medium-roast pre-ground coffee is milled at the company’s facility in Captain Cook in the Kona district in Hawaii. With French Press, it brews a delicious, full-bodied cup of coffee with a smooth finish.
- 100% pure Kona coffee
- Full-bodied flavor profile
- Low acidity
Which Roast Level is Best for French Press?
For a French press, we recommend a medium roast or a medium-dark roast. In addition to delivering a smoky, dark brew that well suits the nature of this method, these roast levels have more oil on the surface of the bean as well as a stronger flavor.
On the other side, lightly-roasted coffee has a very soft flavor that can be too delicate for the French Press. As for dark roast coffee beans, the bitterness and intensity are better-suited for making espresso rather than French Press.
So what’s the best pre-ground coffee for French Press? Well, the answer is ultimately up to your taste buds!