A lot of home baristas now prefer single dosing and we give them our ‘yes’ vote. Single dosing keeps your hopper empty, avoids wasting coffee, and lets you drink fresh coffee every single time.
Finding a suitable machine for single dosing isn’t easy, but we’ve done our research! Below, you’ll find our reviews of the best single-dose coffee grinders on the market.
If you’re in a rush, here are our top picks:
The 3 Best Single Dose Coffee Grinders
Single-dose coffee grinders are generally expensive. They cost more than your average espresso machine, and they definitely cost more than regular grinders. So, choosing the right one is a must to avoid wasting your money. Check these three options here to meet your match.
- SPECIALTY COFFEE ASSOCIATION AWARD WINNING GRINDERS - Baratza grinders are preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world class support.
- DOSING - 3 programmable dosing buttons for accurate, consistent dosing to within a 10th of a second. This allows you to save 3 different doses for a variety of uses. Dual dosing options - grind directly into a portafilter or grounds bin/brewing device.
- EXCEPTIONAL ESPRESSO GRINDER - The Sette delivers beautiful espresso and is also capable of grinding for manual brewing methods requiring a finer grind (e.g. Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, some drip brewers).
- 270 GRIND SETTINGS - Macro/Micro adjustment for the most precise dial-in capabilities. A built-in convertible device holder allows for convenient change between a portafilter or supplied grounds bin.
- HIGH SPEED GRINDING - Up to 5g/second and minimal retention in the innovative straight-thru grind mechanism.
The Baratza Sette 270 is one of the best machines for making home espresso, and the fact that it works for single dosing only makes it better. Baratza designed the machine with a unique system to set it apart from competitors. In its drive system, the upper burr spins instead of the lower one, like most machines.
As a result, the total grind retention is around 0.01 ounces, which is the closest thing to zero. The little retention prevents wasting coffee, which is a bonus.
The special design also ensures that the beans stay where they should without jumping up into the hopper, even without applied pressure. This way, the beans stay against the burrs to keep the grinding time short.
The Baratza is a pretty quick machine; it can grind around 0.8 ounces in 10 seconds, which is faster than most competitors.
In terms of construction, the Baratza may not be the best. Its burrs are a bit small, and it has a plastic housing with a few metal components. However, it offers excellent value for its price.
- Three programmable dosing buttons available
- Macro and micro-adjustment for the grinding settings
- Excellent value for money
- The housing isn’t too durable
- ODE BREW GRINDER: A powerful, precise, and quieter home coffee grinder with café capabilities, Ode was designed to perfect your daily brewed coffee. Grind grounds specifically for AeroPress, pour-over, French press, cold brew, and more.
- CAFE PERFORMANCE FOR YOUR COUNTERTOP: Grind what you need right before you brew with Ode's single-dose hopper for maximum bean freshness. This coffee grinder has professional-grade 64 mm flat burrs that deliver consistently ground coffee beans.
- PRECISION GRIND QUALITY: With 11 settings and 31 steps in between, you can easily adjust the grind settings. Use the low settings to get the perfect consistency for your pour-over, or go for a coarse grind to make a rich French press or cold brew.
- COFFEE BAR ACCESSORY - Ode transforms a morning chore into a quicker, quieter, and more enjoyable coffee-making experience. This sophisticated and modernly designed coffee grinder will turn your countertop into a barista's coffee corner.
- FELLOW: Experts in coffee with a love for product design, we at Fellow believe coffee is a journey. We are dedicated to melding beautiful design with flawless functionality to help aficionados and beginners alike find the fun in the brewing process.
If you’re on a tight budget, the Fellow Ode grinder may be the best option for you. With its 64mm flat burrs, Smart Speed PID motor, and 31 grinding settings, it has everything you may need in a single dosing machine and more.
The professional-grade burrs are highly durable, and they’re large enough to grind your beans consistently and at high speed. Powered by the Smart Speed PID motor, they tune to a stable RPM, accounting for evenly distributed force and excellent grind quality.
The Fellow Ode is easy to use; you can control the grind size using the large dial mounted on its front. You can choose between Prismo, Pour Over, Drip, French Press, and Cold Brew.
The Fellow’s hopper is large enough to hold up to nearly three ounces, which is ideal for single dosing. Additionally, it’s one of the quietest espresso machines, working at around 60 dB. It doesn’t go louder than what a normal conversation would sound like.
Aside from its high functionality, the Fellow Ode looks sleek and elegant. It’d look good on any kitchen counter or coffee bar.
- Sleek design
- More affordable than most similar machines
- User-friendly and easy to use
- Some users reported that it makes a mess of grounds when you try to pour it out
- Silenced Grind - A sound-insulated case helps keep the Specialita quieter than most.
- Touchscreen Controls - Adjust your grind time for single, double and continuous modes with a backlit resistive touchscreen.
- 55mm Stepless Burrs - With the biggest burrs available on a Mignon; these hardened steel flat burrs make short work of coffee beans.
- Bottom Burr Adjust - By adjusting the grind from below the motor mount, the Specialita preserves your grind setting between disassemblies.
- New Chute - A wider chute design with Eureka's anti-clumping system makes for fluffier grounds.
If you’re willing to pay some extra cash to get a top-tier espresso maker/grinder, the Eureka Mignon is worth a thought. It sports a flat burr grinder that has minimal retention of 0.05 ounces. This way, it doesn’t waste any coffee, and it grinds efficiently and consistently.
Eureka designed their Mignon grinder to prevent popcorning with its narrow neck and hopper design. The small opening prevents the beans from jumping back up.
As for the driving system, the Mignon’s entire lower burr spins, generating angular momentum and accounting for a mess-free grinding process. The action also pushes the grounds out of the chute in an instant.
The Eureka is only one or two seconds slower than the Baratza, grinding 0.8 ounces in 12–14 seconds. It’s still one of the fastest machines on the market. On top of that, it’s one of the quietest, thanks to its sound-insulated case.
The machine is user-friendly and easy to use. It features touch controls that let you adjust your grinding settings in an instant.
- Silent grinding to avoid bothering your family
- Mess-free grinding process
- Micrometric regulation system to ensure accurate performance
- On the expensive side of the market
Single Dose Machine Or a Hopper?
If you’re still indecisive about your machine of choice, this brief comparison may help you choose. A lot of people are a bit wary of single dosing machines at first—partially because they’re different from what they’re used to, and mainly because of their higher price.
The main advantage of single dosing machines is that you weigh precisely the beans you need without wasting any coffee. All these machines have low retention, so the amount of beans going in is exactly the same as the amount coming out. Additionally, there’s no hopper to leave your beans in, which accounts for fresh coffee every time you go for a drink.
If you only drink a couple of cups a day, single dosing is a perfect solution to avoid wasting coffee or letting it go stale. It also allows you to determine accurately how many ground beans you need.
Not to mention, the lack of a hopper makes single dosing machines compact, so they fit on any counter.
A hopper has its advantages, too, such as the steady pressure and the automatic bean feeding into the burrs. In the end, it depends on your usage and your preferences.
The Final Verdict
Our favorite pick out of the best single-dose coffee grinders is undoubtedly the Baratza Sette 270. It comes with a reasonable price that fits most budgets, and it has everything you need in a single dosing machine. It’s reliable, durable, and highly functional. What more could you ask for?