Single-cup coffee makers have been booming in popularity in recent years. But with hundreds, if not thousands, of single-serve coffee makers available to purchase today, how does one find the perfect machine?
Fear not, my friend, for I’m here to aid you with your quest. Today, I’ve compiled 5 of the best one-serving coffee makers that’s worth your time, including a handy buyer’s guide to lead the way.
If you’re an hurry, here are our top picks:
5 Best Single-Serve Coffee Makers
The convenience of making yourself a single cup of coffee just the way you like it is, frankly, unmatched. Here are the best single-serve coffee makers you should check out:
Ninja Specialty Coffee Maker: Best Overall
- 4 BREW STYLES: Select from one of the four, versatile brew styles: Classic, Rich, Over Ice, or Specialty Brew.
- SPECIALTY BREWS: Brew a super-rich coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks.
- MAKE ICED COFFEE: Brew fresh over ice for flavorful iced coffee that's never watered down.
- 6 BREW SIZES: Brew anything from a single cup or travel size to a half or full carafe in your coffee maker. 6 sizes include Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, Multi-Serve Travel Mug, Half Carafe & Full Carafe.
- NO PODS REQUIRED: Use your favorite grounds to create a single-serve coffee—no reusable pod required.
If you’re looking for a coffee maker that has it all, the Ninja Specialty is certainly worth looking at. This machine can make almost every coffee under the sun, from standard to specialty brews.
This coffee maker uses a Thermal Flavor Extraction technology that controls the bloom time, the level of saturation, and the water temperature of your cup of joe. The result? Deliciously brewed coffee that tastes exactly how you want it to taste.
Unlike other single-serve coffee makers, the Ninja Specialty doesn’t require pods to make a cup of coffee. Simply add your favorite ground coffee beans to the machine, and you’re ready to go!
- Comes with a ton of features, including a frother, a carafe, and adjustable settings
- Easy cleanup
- Bigger compared to the rest on this list
- Doesn’t make espressos
Keurig K-Mini Coffee Maker: Best Compact
- FITS ANYWHERE: Less than 5 inches wide, perfect for small spaces
- YOUR PERFECT AMOUNT: Brew any cup size between 6-12oz with Keurig K-Cup pods
- ONE CUP RESERVOIR: Just add fresh water for each brew
- FAST & FRESH BREWED: Coffee made in minutes
- CORD STORAGE: For easy transport and tidy countertops
The K-Mini is Keurig’s slimmest model to date. At less than 5 inches wide, this machine is perfect for those who have limited space on their counters.
Dubbed as the “ultimate single serve dispenser” by many, the K-Mini is certainly one of the best compact coffee makers I’ve ever seen. It’s simple yet functional. Plus, it looks and feels exceptionally well-made.
If you’re searching for a machine that makes a cup coffee with virtually non-existent prep time and zero clean-up, you’ll love what the K-Mini offers.
- Great for those who frequently travel or have limited counter space
- Easy to use
- Comes in 6 different color options
- Takes up to 2 minutes to brew coffee
- Isn’t a quiet machine
Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine with Aeroccino: Best Espresso Maker
- Versatile automatic coffee maker: Brew different single-serve Coffee cup sizes at the touch of a button depending on your Coffee needs - Espresso (1.35 ounce), Double Espresso (2.7 ounce), Gran Lungo (5 ounce), Coffee (7.7 ounce) and Alto (14 ounce). Pour over ice to create your favorite iced Coffee and iced Latte drinks. Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules . The removable water tank capacity is about 1.2 litre and the used capsule container capacity is approximately 17 litre
- Smart coffee maker: Brew the perfect single-serve Coffee or Espresso drink time after time, thanks to Nespresso's Centrifusion technology using barcodes to deliver the best in-cup results including the perfect crema for large Coffee cup sizes. Simply insert the capsule and enjoy freshly brewed Coffee or authentic Espresso.
- Single serve coffee machine: Have the ability to create barista grade brewed single-serve Coffee or Espresso cups at the touch of a single button. The one-touch button mechanism delivers the best in-cup result for whatever style Coffee or Espresso drink you choose. Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules only.
- Best seller assortment: A variety of 3 best-selling coffee blends for the Nespresso VertuoLine System
- Contents: Nespresso Vertuo Machine by De'Longhi, Aeroccino Milk Frother - and best selling coffees - 30 Capsules: 10 Stormio, 10 Odacio, 10 Melozio
The Nespresso Vertuo Coffee Machine is a thing of beauty. Not only does it look great on the countertop, but it also makes one of the best homemade espressos money can buy.
What makes this coffee machine truly different is that it uses an extraction technology known as “centrifusion.” When activated, the capsule inserted spins up to 7,000 rotations per minute to blend the ground coffee with water evenly.
The result is a foamy, smooth crema that can rival any coffee shop.
The model I’ve selected comes with Aeroccino technology. I prefer cappuccino rather than espresso, so this little feature is vital for me. However, you can purchase the Nespresso without the Aeroccino, depending on your taste.
- Outstanding design
- Makes deliciously creamy coffee
- Easy to use and clean
- Pods are a little expensive
- Coffee sometimes comes out lukewarm if not left to power-up beforehand
Sboly Single Serve Coffee Maker: Budget-Friendly Option
The Sboly Single Serve Coffee Maker proves that you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to get yourself a high-quality coffee maker.
This single-serve machine is portable and compact, which allows you to make coffee anywhere, anytime. It’s sleek, easy to use, easy to clean, and prepares your coffee just how you like it.
That being said, the only downside to this machine is the overall preparation time. It takes about 3 minutes to heat and prepare your coffee. But once it’s done, you’ll be rewarded with a smooth, steaming hot cup of joe.
- Highly affordable
- The auto-clean feature allows the machine to clean itself with a push of a button
- Durable and compact
- Makes great-tasting coffee
- Coffee may come out too hot for some users
- Long preparation time
De’Longhi Dinamica Automatic Coffee & Espresso Machine: Most Luxurious
- The true Brew process delivers smooth, full-bodied Iced Coffee by brewing at a lower temperature, pre-infusing and infusing the Coffee over ice that’s never watered down.
- Heat-up time in less than 40 seconds: with Italian 15 bar high performance pump and it takes only 40 seconds to heat up the machine and start brewing
- Brew the freshest Coffee: with bean to cup brewing system and a breakthrough built-in steel burr grinder, enjoy the freshest cup of Coffee, every time
- Integrated adjustable manual frothier: allows you to customize steam and foam levels for rich, creamy, long-lasting lattes and cappuccinos – with no Barista experience required. The adjustable steel burr grinder has 13 setting options for a perfect grind of the whole beans
- The simplest machine to clean: with a removable brew unit and dishwasher-safe drip tray, This machine takes half the time and cost to clean compared vs. Competitor models and without the use of chemicals.
De’Longhi is a globally known brand that makes some of the best coffee makers in the world. The Dinamica Automatic Coffee and Espresso Machine further solidifies just how brilliant their products truly are.
This machine comes with a ton of unique features. Other than its capacity to make iced coffee, it also comes with a stainless steel burr grinder with over 10 different settings, an adjustable manual milk frother, and customizable one-touch drinks.
It has everything you need in a single-cup coffee maker, and much more!
- Comes with a ton of programmable functions
- Has standby and energy-saving features
- Solid build
- Brews also every coffee style you can think of
- On the expensive end
- Makes a bit of getting used to, especially with all the features it comes with
Factors to Consider When Buying a One Serving Coffee Maker
Single-serve coffee makers come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and functionalities. But how do you choose the perfect one for you? Here are some quick tips to follow when buying a coffee maker:
Speed is a significant factor when it comes to buying coffee makers. No one wants to wait longer than necessary just to drink a single cup of coffee, especially when you’re in a rush.
According to the National Coffee Association, a drip system coffee maker’s contact time should be no more than 5 minutes.
Many love the convenience of a one-touch single coffee maker. It’s simple, quick, and brews the same coffee every time. Others love adding a little extra effort to create their perfect cup.
How many steps are you willing to go through for a cup of coffee? Do you prefer going the long route, i.e., grinding coffee, checking filters, setting times, before you start brewing? Or would you rather it be straight forward?
A lot of single-cup coffee makers come with additional features. However, with every extra feature, the overall price of the machine jumps up. So you’ll need to ask yourself this: do you really need that additional feature?
Here are some of the most common options found in single cup coffee makers that might be worth keeping an eye out for:
- Programmable settings
- Built-in coffee grinders
- Water filter
- Storage carafes
The list above features some of the best one serving coffee makers available today, but if I had to choose a favorite, it’s hands down the Ninja Specialty Coffee Maker.
Despite it being on the bigger side, the Ninja Specialty coffee maker has everything you’ll ever want in a single-cup coffee maker and more. It’s functional, flexible, and, most importantly, makes delicious cups of coffee every single time!