In the nation of coffee lovers, we can’t get through a day without a cup of coffee. It keeps us happy, keeps us awake, and — on the roughest mornings — keeps us alive!
We all want to have our own coffee shops at home, don’t we?
After hours of research, we’ve compiled a list of the best single-serve coffee makers without pods to give you a better coffee experience in the comfort of your home.
If you’re in a rush, here are our top picks:
The 4 Best Single Serve Coffee Makers
Choosing the right podless coffee machine can be a bit of a challenge. However, this list will help you find the best coffee maker for your everyday sip of coffee!
1. Cuisinart DCC-3000 Coffee Maker: Top Pick
However, if 12 cups of coffee are too many, you can always dial them down to 1–4 cups by pressing the dedicated button.
Moreover, you don’t have to worry about frequently washing your machine as it features an indicator that signals the need for cleaning.
The Cuisinart DCC-300 Coffee Maker is enhanced with a cool LED that shines into your cup as it fills your morning coffee. So, no more “oops” on an overfilled cup!
Among the few disadvantages that were mentioned by the users, the short 2-inch cord seems to stand out.
- Large 12-cup capacity
- Easy to clean
- Could be set at night
- Tends to leak
- Short 2-inch cord
- Brew your own ground coffee with single-serve scoop filter.
- Fast brewing: Brew an 8-ounce cup in less than 90 seconds and a 14-ounce travel mug in under 2.5 minutes.
- Flexible: Uses a mesh scoop filter so it can be brewed with your choice of coffee grounds.
- Custom cup: Brews a single-serve cup to your liking with regular (automatic drip) and bold options.
- Durable: Designed with durable, easy-to-clean stainless steel to ensure longevity. Built-in stand for coffee mugs.
The stainless steel exterior of the Hamilton Beach Scoop gives it a modern, elegant design that will match most kitchen counters.
This coffee maker has two brewing options: The first makes an 8-ounce cup of coffee in about 90 seconds. The second brews a 14-ounce travel mug in about two and a half minutes.
We like the double-filter system of this coffee maker — it consists of a brew basket, a filter holder, and a filter wall. This will allow you to add any flavor you desire to your favorite coffee grounds.
Unlike many coffee makers, the Hamilton Beach Scoop drip tray is an all-metal that can be adjusted to accommodate whichever cup you use.
- Double filter
- Two coffee strength settings
- Makes coffee within seconds
- Coffee may taste like plastic
- Inconsistent temperature
3. BLACK+DECKER Single-Serve Coffee Maker, CM618: Budget Pick
- Included Components: Permanent Filter
- Fabric Type: Plastic, Stainless Steel
The Black+Decker Single-Serve coffee maker is the ultimate solution if you want to travel with your coffee.
The thing we like the most about it is that it automatically turns off right after brewing. So you don’t have to worry about leaving your coffee machine on.
Unfortunately, just like almost every coffee maker with a similar design, the Black+Decker coffee maker will leave coffee residue at the bottom of your cup.
- Portable for travel
- Comes with a 16-ounce travel mug
- Brews coffee in a short time
- Automatic shutdown
- Tends to give weak coffee taste
- Leaves coffee grounds at the bottom of the mug
4. AdirChef Grab N’ Go Personal Coffee Maker: Best Portable
- ECO-FRIENDLY. Equipped with a permanent filter, this environmentally-friendly coffee maker allows you to cut out waste and save money. Eliminating the use of paper filters, you no longer need to spend money buying them or filling up your garbage can when you need to dispose of them.
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN. Sized just right, the travel mug will fit into most cup holders and drink vessels. This is ideal for those who enjoy taking a hot cup of coffee with them on their way to work, run errands or drop the kids off at school. The mug is well insulated to keep your coffee warm for an extended period of time, perfect for those who have a long commute in the morning.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION. Made using high-quality, durable plastic, you can enjoy a personal cup of coffee from this coffee maker every morning for years to come. It brews directly into the 15-ounce stainless steel travel mug and once the cup is full, the maker automatically shuts off to save power.
- PORTABLE APPLIANCE. Small and lightweight, this unit is the perfect size for tight counter spaces or tiny cubicles in the workplace and can be easily transported from one location to the next. In addition, the mug is equipped with a comfort grip Band and is tapered to fit most vehicle cup holders. If you prefer to set up the appliance in your kitchen permanently, you can just grab the mug and take your coffee to go.
- COMES COMPLETE WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED. The personal coffee maker comes complete with a travel mug, lid, internal filter and holding basket. All you need to do is set it up, plug it in and begin brewing your personal cup of coffee any time you want. All the components are dishwasher safe for added convenience, making clean up as easy as setting up. **Prop 65 Warning - Lead and DEHP**
The AdirChef Grab N’ Go coffee maker has a simple coffee-delivery system with a compact shape to take anywhere you want.
Built with a sturdy exterior, this coffee maker will live for years without breaking. It’s also accompanied by a lidded cup that works well if you want your coffee on the go.
So if you’re always in a rush to get to work, the AdirChef coffee machine should be your best bet.
- Fast brewing
- Compact travel size
- Easy to use
- Consistent temperature
- The parts are dishwasher-safe
- Leaves a tiny amount of coffee grounds at the bottom of the cup
- Doesn’t have a tray to catch drips
Factors to Consider Before Buying Your Coffee Maker
Before you purchase a podless coffee maker, make sure that it complies with the following factors to guarantee a satisfactory experience.
Unlike coffee makers that use pods, single-serve coffee makers come with permanent filters that are more eco-friendly.
Although you’ll be stuck with the hassle of washing the filter after every use, the process is fairly easy. But the best thing about it is that you’ll end up saving some extra money since you won’t have to buy new filters every now and then.
Some coffee makers, such as the Cuisinart DCC-3000, feature enhanced charcoal-based filters. Thanks to its high reactivity, the charcoal filters out harmful impurities like chlorine, calcium, and even foul odor.
The water reservoir size depends mainly on how often you brew your coffee.
Most of the single-serve coffee makers have an easily removable water reservoir with handles, which makes them easy to refill and clean.
Convenience highly depends on how much you want to be involved in the coffee-making ritual.
While some machines allow you to engage in the whole coffee-making process, others do the job with a click of a button.
Choosing a coffee maker with a marked water reservoir adds up to the convenience factor as it’ll keep spills at bay.
While there are coffee makers that will take up a huge space on your kitchen counter, you can find small models that you can take wherever you want. The AdirChef and the Hamilton Beach are among the best choices.
Choosing the right coffee machine is key. The last thing you want to be left with is a model with an over-complicated that’s not capable of making the coffee you love.
After our elaborate search, we can say that the Cuisinart DCC-3000 is the best single-serve coffee maker without pods.
Having a charcoal-based filter system, the Cuisinart coffee maker takes the spotlight for making the freshest cup of coffee. And thanks to its variable capacity, it’d be ideal for large and small families alike.
But if you’re someone who recently entered into a relationship, you might want to get a coffee maker that’s best for two people.