Many of us rely on our morning coffee to kick start our day and bring some joy into the beginning of our daily routine. If you’re a “chocoholic” like myself, you’ve probably also tried to incorporate that scrumptious chocolatey flavor into your morning coffee ritual. Ordering a standard mocha from a barista can get expensive and tedious over time. In this article, I’ll show you 10 types of coffee that taste like chocolate and how to access them from the comfort of your own home.
Natural vs. Artificial Chocolate Flavor
It’s important to understand the difference between natural and artificial chocolate flavor before you choose which chocolate-tasting coffee you want to start with. It’s possible for coffee to grow infused with a natural chocolate flavor if the soil meets certain conditions.
For example, coffee grown in lower altitude locations such as Central and South America is more likely to contain sweet chocolate undertones. The chocolate flavor in these blends will be more subtle, allowing the coffee’s natural taste to take over.
Coffee can also be infused with artificial chocolate flavoring in a food company’s lab or via extras added later in the serving process, such as mocha powder, chocolate syrup, white chocolate additions and more. When using artificial chocolate flavoring in your coffee, you have much more control over the intensity of the chocolate notes.
Coffee That Tastes Like Chocolate
1. Kona Mocha Mix
Hawaii is the only U.S. state to grow coffee commercially. In Hawaii, coffee is primarily grown in areas with higher altitude, which gives it a unique taste. Kona, a leading brand among popular Hawaiian coffee companies, has created an excellent mocha mix which is easy to find and easy to make – Kona Mocha Mix. This blend is lightly fruity with overtones of chocolate throughout, and is perfect for making frozen and blended beverages.
- Big Train Blended Ice Coffee in Kona Mocha: A sweet, indulgent mocha that you can mix up and sip in an instant; Just add water; Drink hot, cold, or blended with ice for a frozen frappe treat that rivals the expensive drinks at coffee chains
- Wherever Beverages are Served: Big Train Beverage mixes and blends are ideal for home and office kitchens, cafés, coffeeshops, and restaurants; Easy to mix and serve, Big Train mixes, blended frappes, and smoothie bases make beverage blending simple
- Blend, Pour, Serve: Big Train mixes make it easy to serve up delicious drinks; From our just-add-water chai, to our blended crème and coffee frappes, Big Train provides quick to prepare beverage solutions for home kitchens, coffee shops, and restaurants
- Try Every Flavor: Our entire line is crave-worthy; Try our Spiced or Vanilla Chai Tea Latte; We've got blended ice coffee in Java Chip, Caramel, and more, plus blended crème frappes like Cookies and Cream (caffeine-free)
- Big Train: Create classic coffee based frappes, on trend chai tea’s, kid-friendly frappes, seasonal beverages and more with Big Train; From the decadent favorites to better for you options, all you need to do is blend, pour and enjoy
2. Jim’s Organic Coffee (Double Chocolate)
Jim’s Organic Coffee, specifically the Double Chocolate variety, offers a stronger chocolate sensation for those of us who really like to indulge. As it states in the name, this coffee blend is organic and uses exclusively all-natural sources for flavoring. The chocolate in this blend is more intense, making for a richer taste.
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE – Contains: All natural flavor added to a mellow coffee base. Rich chocolate in every cup!
- ROASTED TO PERFECTION - We roast and pack our coffee into one-way valve bags for roaster fresh taste. Coffee beans are artisan roasted to perfection at our state of the art facility. Made in the USA.
- THE BEST ORGANIC FARMS - We use the finest quality 100% Arabica coffee beans from all over the world. Over 20+ years, we’ve established long-lasting relationships with growers, ensuring we get only their best coffee, year after year.
- ORGANIC COFFEE WITH A MISSION – Our mission is to bring you exceptional coffee – Coffee with Character – batch after batch, cup after cup. We are 100% dedicated to Organic Coffee. Jim is a founder of the organic coffee movement; with over 25 years’ experience. All of our coffee is USDA Certified Organic and Kosher. Jim’s Organic Coffee is a B-Corp – harnessing the power of business as a force to do good, we give back to coffee communities through charity partnerships.
- GROUND COFFEE – Perfect for Drip brewing.
3. Starbucks Mocha
You can’t go wrong with the classics! Starbucks coffee is popular for a reason – and one of those reasons might be how delicious their mocha blend is. Starbucks doesn’t just offer barista and drive-thru services. They’ve also produced a unique line of brand-exclusive coffee blends, which are available as whole beans or grounds. The mocha flavor in this blend is very evenly distributed – not so strong that it overwhelms the actual coffee, yet distinct enough to please even the most chocolate-obsessed coffee connoisseur among us.
- PREMIUM GROUND COFFEE—Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this 11-ounce bag of mocha flavored ground coffee—6 bags total
- STARBUCKS MOCHA FLAVORED COFFEE—Brew a mug full of luscious mocha taste with this delicious flavored coffee
- FRESH TASTE—Starbucks adheres to the highest quality standards—shipping you the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans we brew in our cafés
- MAKE IT YOUR OWN—An everyday cup no matter how you brew it, Starbucks coffee is carefully ground to be ideal for a variety of brewing methods, including drip brewer, coffee press, pour-over and moka pot
- NEW LOOK. SAME TASTE.—Starbucks Mocha Flavored Coffee has a new packaging look, but the same great taste you know and love. You may receive either package during our update
4. Handmade Mexican Mocha
Mexican mocha is a type of mocha which differs from the American standard you’d likely purchase at your run of the mill coffee shop. Your standard mocha includes espresso, chocolate and milk or cream whereas a Mexican mocha contains Mexican chocolate and sometimes other special ingredients to bolster the flavor. This is a better selection if you’re into intense chocolate flavor and looking for something new.
Mexican mocha can be made at home very easily, even with limited ingredients on hand. You just need the coffee, chocolate and cream – no espresso machines required! The chocolate included is also very affordable and easy to find. If you want to give it a try, you can find some helpful instructions here.
5. Maud’s Chocolate Mocha Cappuccino
Although the name may be a mouthful, this coffee blend is an absolute delight. Not only is this blend available in convenient pods for Keurig machines, but it’s also dairy free, meaning you can enjoy it even if dairy isn’t your thing. Maud’s coffee comes in a variety of flavors, and mocha is just one among them. Experimenting with different flavor subtypes can be a great way to determine which one is right for you.
- Mocha Cappuccino Profile - Maud's Dark Chocolate Mocha Cappuccino Dark Roast Espresso Coffee is a full body, sweet and aromatic cappuccino. A specialty coffee that is filled with rich and creamy chocolate flavors and blended to perfection with dark roast coffee espresso beans.
- 100% Arabica Dark Chocolate Mocha Cappuccino - We use only high quality 100% Arabica coffee including organic and fair trade beans from premier growing regions around the world.
- California Roasted & 100% Solar Energy Produced - On their way to your cup, our flavorful beans also get a California tan, roasted to perfection in our own Solar Energy Powered San Diego facility, where we can monitor the quality and character of each batch. Our goal is to be carbon neutral by 2024.
- Single Servings - Designed for use with nearly all single serve coffee makers and Keurig KCup compatible brewers, including 2.0 machines.
- Recyclable Dark Mocha Cappuccino Pods - Our Mocha Cappuccino coffee pods are made from recyclable #5 plastic materials and feature easy peel tabs to ensure recyclability across the USA. Check your local recyclability facilities to find out more, not recyclable in all communities.
6. Coffee Bean Direct Chocolate Raspberry Blend
If you’re looking to get a little fancy, Coffee Bean Direct’s Chocolate Raspberry blend is nothing short of perfection. This coffee blend contains only coffee beans – no additives, flavorings or other artificial extras. The raspberry hints bring a little sweetness to contrast the coffee’s naturally bitter flavor while the rich chocolate comes through to seal the deal.
- Chocolate Raspberry: This sweet and velvety combination is one of the original flavored coffees. Chocolate compliments the natural chocolaty undertones of the bean while the raspberry adds a sweet and fruity kick
- Happiness is Brewing: We source coffee from Brazil, Costa Rica, Sumatra, Kenya and more to find the most flavorful beans for your next cup. Try iced, as cold brew, with a French press, AeroPress or pour over
- So Many Choices: We're passionate about coffee. Try our product lines of Single Origin, Decaffeinated, Blends, and Tea. Also explore our light, medium and dark roasts
- Expertly Roasted: Expect more from our beans than just a jolt of caffeine. We offer coarse, finely ground and whole bean options. Enjoy peak flavor and aroma in your latte, mocha, espresso or drip
- Coffee Bean Direct: Our dedication to roasting expertise, modern convenience, and fair pricing allows us to bring you the best coffees and teas imaginable in artisanal blends and flavors
7. Flavor God Mint Chocolate Chip Coffee
Another great option if you’re looking to try something new is Flavor God’s Mint Chocolate Chip coffee. Mint chocolate isn’t for everyone, but those who love it really love it. If that’s you, this is going to be the ideal blend for you. The mint in this blend is not overwhelming, but it’s certainly there. Drinking this coffee blend feels like taking a visit to an ice cream shop every single morning.
8. Schuil Dark Chocolate Blend
Schuil’s Dark Chocolate Blend is a strong, bitter coffee that’s complemented by a subtle chocolate finish. This blend is available in beans and grounds, so you can purchase the right option for your methods at home. Although it’s not quite as sweet as the other blends on this list, it has a lot to offer when you just can’t stop those dark chocolate cravings.
- DUTCH BREAKFAST BLEND: We created a specialty gourmet breakfast blend coffee using a mixture of Colombian coffee beans and Central American beans. This blend is considered a dark roast coffee and has notes of bittersweet dark chocolate with balanced acidity.
- ROASTED IN SMALL BATCHES TO GUARANTEE CONSISTENCY: We are committed to provide our customers with fresh roasted coffee. We roast our coffee in small batches to ensure that each bean of coffee is of superior quality and roasted evenly to our desired specifications. Our process draws out the best possible flavor in each and every batch. Small batch roasting permits a higher quality standard in coffee throughout the complete process: from picking the beans to roasting each small batch to perfection
- LIGHT, MEDIUM & DARK WHOLE COFFEE BEANS: Brewing the best cup of coffee starts with finding your favorite roast, blend or flavor. We roast a variety of whole bean coffees to create premium coffee blends that are rich and full of flavor. Our Light roast coffees are mild & smooth, medium roast coffees are smooth & aromatic, while dark roast coffees are smoky & full bodied
- ESPRESSO BEANS & GROUND COFFEE: We believe that the best cup of coffee should be enjoyed with friends and family. We only roast the best coffee beans so they can be enjoyed as espresso beans for your favorite latte when you are spending time with friends or as your daily morning ground coffee roast or breakfast blend coffee at home. Our coffees are made for a coffee pot, french press, espresso maker and cold brew coffee.
- ROASTED IN MICHIGAN: Since 1981 Schuil Coffee Co. has been sourcing the highest quality exotic coffee. Schuil is a family owned coffee roaster dedicated to quality, roasting consistency and freshness. We proudly roast our fair trade coffee in small batches in Grand Rapids Michigan. Give our specialty coffee a try to and discover for yourself what a difference good coffee can make!
9. Stone Street Chocolate Indulgence
Stone Street is a small business based in Brooklyn, New York that offers their own line of coffee ground blends at a modest price without cutting corners on the quality. Stone Street’s Chocolate Indulgence blend has wowed customers with its candy-like sweetness and bold chocolate flavor. You could be the next to experience this masterpiece!
- GROUND FLAVORED COFFEE – Chocolate Indulgence Gourmet flavor
- FLAVOR NOTES - For the ultimate chocolate lover, our chocolate indulgence coffee takes the daily cup to the next level
- COFFEE DETAILS - Medium Roasted 100% Arabica Ground Coffee with gourmet flavoring.
- 1 LB RESEALABLE BAG - 3-Layer natural kraft resealable bag with large opening for easy scooping. Includes a one-way de-gassing valve to maintain freshness & aroma.
- NO SLEEP 'TIL BROOKLYN - We're a 'Micro-Roasterie' roaster located in the heart of Brooklyn, NYC and we've been roasting delicious gourmet coffee since 2009.
10. Tuturu Dark Chocolate Coffee
Last but not least, Tuturu’s Dark Chocolate coffee is a delightful, aromatic, and environmentally-friendly choice. Tuturu is dedicated to creating coffee blends made from exclusively all-natural ingredients. This dark chocolate blend is no exception, and is flavored only using cacao, the ingredient used to make chocolate. Their blends are also contained in compostable bags, so you don’t have to feel bad about creating waste while you enjoy that cup of joe.
What’s Right for You?
As any devoted coffee lover knows, no two blends are the same. It’s important to try out different options so you can learn what works best for you. When experimenting with different varieties of coffee, it may help to jot down some notes about what you taste, smell, and see. The right cup of coffee is out there, just waiting for you to pick it up and take a sip.