Are you looking for a basic espresso machine that offers nothing but high-quality espresso shots? If you’re not interested in all the bells and whistles of modern coffee makers, then you need to shop for the best espresso machine without frother.
Such an espresso maker will work for those who know exactly what they want from an espresso machine. Keep on reading to learn more about our top choices and how to choose the right one for you.
At a glance
How to Choose the Best Espresso Machine Without Frother
If you need nothing but high-quality espresso, there are several machines that allow for optimum extraction. Here are a few features to think about if you’re shopping for an espresso machine without frother.
At least 9 bars of pressure are required to extract your espresso. More bars will allow for better and stronger extraction, especially if you like to enjoy strong coffee. It’s a good idea to pick an espresso machine that will enable you to choose between different shot strengths.
Type of Coffee
When you’re shopping for an espresso machine, you can think about buying one that is compatible with pods, pre-ground coffee, or coffee beans. Although pods are straightforward to use, they’re more expensive.
Coffee beans are more suitable for avid coffee lovers because you can grind your beans on the spot. You can also use your favorite pre-ground coffee to prepare a delicious espresso shot.
Ease of Use
There are semi-automatic espresso machines that require some programming and adjustability. Automatic machines are more expensive but deliver more consistent results. Super-automatic machines are the most professional ones because they allow you to prepare fast yet delicious espresso shots every time.
Reviews of the Best Espresso Machines Without Frother
A high-quality home espresso machine will cut down your expenses as you can enjoy barista-quality espresso shots whenever you like. Since there are automatic and semi-automatic machines on the market, finding the best one can be a little tricky. We spent some time studying the market and chose some of the top models for you.
1. Jura A1 Automatic Coffee Machine
- ONE TOUCH: Prepare 3 barista quality specialties including ristretto, espresso and coffee at the touch of a button - coffee only
- PERFECT ESPRESSO: Ultimate coffee quality thanks to JURA's exclusive Pulse Extraction Process
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG3 grinder grinds whole beans to the optimum fineness
- ECO FRIENDLY: JURA is always freshly ground, not capsuled - fresh taste with very limited waste - single serve machine
- CAPACITY: 37 ounce water tank, 4.4 ounce bean container
This espresso machine is categorized as a super-automatic machine that allows you to go from beans to espresso shot using a single button. It’s designed for avid espresso lovers who need nothing but barista-quality coffee and are willing to pay the machine’s high price.
Although it features a plastic exterior, it looks robust and feels well-made. The control panel is located at the top and features easy to access buttons.
It features a 5-ounce hopper that pushes your favorite coffee beans into an adjustable conical burr grinder which is quieter than other grinders. You can use pre-ground coffee to prepare your favorite espresso shot.
Using this machine, you can enjoy ristretto, a classic espresso, or a larger cup of coffee. You can choose to brew either 7 or 10 grams for two strength degrees.
Thanks to the Intelligent Pre-Brew Aroma System and the Pulse Extraction Process, your coffee will be brewed in less time with a richer flavor. The Thermoblock heating system and the 15-bar pressure system will allow you to enjoy brewed espresso in about 30 seconds. The machine has a 37-ounce water reservoir.
You don’t have to worry about cleaning this machine because it features 3 integrated cleaning systems. The descaling process takes about 30 minutes. However, if you need a budget-friendly espresso machine, this one won’t work for you.
What We Like
- Super-automatic espresso machine that uses coffee beans or pre-ground coffee.
- Adjustable conical burr grinder.
- Allows for two strength degrees for espresso shots.
- Fast brewing and extraction.
- 3 integrated cleaning systems.
- Fast descaling process.
What We Don’t Like
- More expensive than other models.
2. Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe Coffee and Espresso Machine
- Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of espresso extracted will vary depending on the grind size and amount and reprogramming may be needed when the size and amount are adjusted
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE and ESPRESSO MACHINE: Single serve coffee or espresso at the touch of a button. Innovative programs and features such as 25 sec heat up and energy saving automatic shut off.
- COFFEE FOR EVERY OCCASION: Brew better coffee at home with Nespresso's coffee espresso machine. Drink your coffee bold, mild hot, or iced.
- VERSATILE COFFEE MAKER: Brew 4 different cup sizes at the touch of a button (5oz and 8oz coffee, single and double espresso). Pour over ice to create your favorite blend of iced coffee and lattes.
- INCLUDES: One Vertuo Nespresso coffee machine with an extra-large 60 ounce water tank, a 10 count used pods container.
This innovative espresso machine is straightforward to use. The lid opens and closes using a single touch of the lever to start brewing your coffee instantly. The integrated smart system reads the barcode on the capsule to adjust the coffee size, temperature, pressure, and brewing time.
Using this automatic machine, you can choose between different drinks, including espresso, double espresso, gran lungo, mug, and alto. Without any setup, it will deliver barista-quality coffee every time. It releases 19 bars of pressure to guarantee the best extraction.
The 60-ounce water tank can be moved, depending on the setup of your countertop. It heats the water in 20 to 25 seconds and will automatically shut off after 9 minutes.
When you buy this machine, you will receive a collection of Nespresso capsules to help you explore your favorite coffee. However, these are the only ones you can use with this machine.
What We Like
- Automatic espresso maker that allows you to choose between 5 different drinks.
- One-touch operation.
- Integrated smart system to adjust the parameters depending on the barcode.
- Water tank can be removed.
What We Don’t Like
- Can only be used with Nespresso capsules.
3. STARESSO Portable Espresso Machine
- A more free new beginning - No need for batteries or electricity, manual operation only! With a brewing time of just 1-2 minutes, Staresso Classic makes it effortless to enjoy delicious coffee wherever you are. It perfect for the traveling, office , camping, boating and more. Choose Staresso Classic for a more liberating coffee experience.
- Amazing 2 in 1 Design - Staresso Classic compatible with both capsules and coffee powder. The coffee basket can hold 10g of coffee powder or 5-6g of capsules, while the water tank can hold 80ml of boiling water or ice water, enabling you to effortlessly make 30-50ml of espresso with a generous crema. *This coffee machine compatible with Nespresso original capsules and compatibles.
- Be Your Own Barista - With the original patented design of segmented pressure making, The Staresso Classic is capable of reaching, with the help of your hands, a maximum of 20 bars (290PSI) of pressure for get rich oil and fruit flavor and achieve the golden extraction rate of coffee. What's even more impressive is that the unique pressure regulator empowers you to have full control over your coffee.
- ALL you need in one package - STARESSO espresso machine for travel contains a high-quality 304 stainless steel pressure pump, tank liner, powder cup and aluminum threads form an all-metal core. All contact materials are made of food-grade materials and have been certified by the United States FDA. The removable design of the coffee maker makes it easy to clean and wash. The movable pressure valve makes cleaning easier by simply pushing out the powder.
- About Us & After-sales Warranty - STARESSO is committed to making it easier for more people to enjoy high-quality manual coffee-making processes. At the same time, we also value sustainability and environmental protection. We have used renewable materials and principles of sustainable development in our product design. We provide every customer with 24 months of warranty service and lifelong customer support. We will respond you in time and give you a satisfactory solution.
When you’re away from home, you can still enjoy the perfect espresso shot using this portable machine. This is a lightweight machine that holds up to 80 ml of water and 0.53 ounces of ground coffee. It delivers a rich layer of crema with excellent flavor as long as you have boiling water within reach.
You can also use this espresso maker with Nespresso pods or loose ground coffee to start making your espresso. The pumping system delivers between 15 to 20 bars of pressure with no access to electricity. The top-hand air pump can be used to froth milk, although this espresso maker doesn’t come with a separate frother.
Just rinse it with water, and it will be ready for the next batch of your espresso. Despite its affordable price, this machine is durable and made of high-quality stainless steel. It’s also BPA-free. However, you need to put in the physical effort to pump your espresso, so it’s a little more challenging to use than other automatic machines.
What We Like
- Affordable and portable espresso maker.
- BPA-free and made of high-quality stainless steel.
- Allows for good extraction with 15 to 20 bars of pressure.
- Can be used with Nespresso pods and ground coffee.
- Doesn’t need access to electricity.
What We Don’t Like
- More difficult to use than automatic machines.
To enjoy tasty coffee whenever you like, we recommend that you take a look at the Jura A1 Automatic Coffee Machine. This super-automatic machine is designed to deliver flawless extraction from your favorite coffee beans. However, if you need an affordable espresso machine without frother, we recommend that you take a look at STARESSO Portable Espresso Machine.