You’ve decided it’s time to cut down on your daily caffeine intake. Good for you. But, you don’t have to give up on your refreshing espresso shot, especially early in the morning before a busy workday.
If you’re looking for a middle ground, we’d be glad to recommend the best decaf coffee for espresso machines.
Let’s jump right in!
At A Glance
The Top 5 Decaf Coffee Options for an Espresso Maker
Finding a good balance between a rich, aromatic espresso and less caffeine isn’t impossible. Here are five products to get you started down this healthier path.
1. Lavazza Dek Whole Bean Decaffeinated Espresso Roast
- One 1.1 lb. Bag of Lavazza Dek decaffeinated Italian whole coffee beans
- Creamy dark roast with smooth flavor and exceptional aroma with notes of raosted cerals and barrique.
- Decaffeinated using a natural process
- Blended and roasted in Italy
- Best used with Espresso machine
Can’t begin your day without your usual Lavazza blend? Well, you may want to switch your regular with this decaf alternative, and you won’t have to give up on your favorite Italian coffee brand.
According to those who gave it a shot, pun intended, these dark roast beans could produce a rich and aromatic espresso. They’re a nice mixture of premium Arabica and Robusta beans, and better still, they have subtle notes of hazelnuts and roasted cereal. Delicious!
Plus, we were delighted to find out that Lavazza strips the beans of caffeine using CO2. This technique ensures that the natural taste and smell of the coffee stay intact. So, if you appreciate a strong-tasting espresso, this blend may be the best option.
- A blend of Arabica and Robusta beans
- Includes roasted cereal and hazelnut aftertastes
- Decaffeinated using carbon dioxide
- May be overpowering to some
2. Starbucks Decaf Ground Coffee — Decaf Caffè Verona
- PREMIUM GROUND COFFEE—Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this 12-ounce bag of Decaf Caffè Verona dark roast ground coffee—6 bags each
- STARBUCKS CAFFÈ VERONA BLEND—A decaf rendition of our iconic Starbucks Caffè Verona dark roast coffee that perfectly preserves the blend’s tasting notes of dark cocoa and caramelized sugar
- FRESH TASTE—Starbucks adheres to the highest quality standards—shipping you the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans we brew in our cafés
- MAKE IT YOUR OWN—An everyday cup no matter how you brew it, Starbucks coffee is carefully ground to be ideal for a variety of brewing methods, including drip brewer, coffee press, pour-over and moka pot
- ETHICALLY SOURCED—Starbucks is committed to 100% ethical coffee sourcing in partnership with Conservation International
Another favorite of ours is this Starbucks espresso roast. What makes this buddy so special is that it includes velvety chocolate notes, which can take your next espresso to a whole new level.
Even better, those who tried this decaf coffee loved how it had a smooth and full-bodied texture and taste. Also, since it’s a medium roast, this Starbucks product should be suitable for people looking for a balanced flavor.
One huge plus of this coffee is that it’s 100% Arabica beans, which are famous for their rich taste and mouth-watering aroma. Thanks to all these awesome key points, a lot of users recommend this coffee to use in espresso machines.
- 100% Arabica beans
- Has dark cocoa tones
- Makes a full-bodied espresso without being too strong
- The coffee is decaffeinated using methyl chloride
3. Kicking Horse Decaf Coffee
- Dark roast, whole bean: Swiss water process. Decaffeinated coffee should be exactly like every other one of our blends: Deep, dark and delicious. Tip-top taste with a mellow finish.
- Tasting notes, brew method: Roasted hazelnuts, chocolaty balanced body and a long lasting finish. Recommended methods: French press, drip machine, pour over, espresso and cold brew.
- Origin Central & South America: Grown in a socially and environmentally responsible way, by farmers with sustainable businesses they can depend on.
- Organic, Fairtrade, kosher, shade grown, Arabica coffee: Coffee that is good and fair for the coffee drinkers, the farmers and the planet. 100% certified.
- Roasted in the rocky mountains: It’s all deep, dark and delicious, roasted right below the towering Canadian rocky mountain peaks.
Here’s a coffee brand that’s incredibly popular on Amazon for its organic and Fairtrade products. This decaf dark roast by Kicking Horse Coffee has so much to admire about it.
First off, many people were delighted that they couldn’t tell it apart from other caffeinated blends of the same brand. So, if you’re unwilling to risk an espresso’s rich taste by switching to decaf, here’s a good place to start your low-caffeine journey.
Better still, the Kicking Horse coffee has tasty notes of hazelnuts and cocoa, not to mention that its body is rich and smooth. Also, if you wish to take a break from espresso, you could always put this coffee in the French press or drip machine.
- 100% organic Arabica coffee
- Sustainably and naturally grown in Central and South America
- Includes notes of chocolate and hazelnuts
- Also suitable for pour-over, French press, and cold brew coffee
- Some people thought it was over-roasted
4. No Fun Jo Decaf Coffee
- NO FUN JO DECAF PROFESSIONAL CUPPING NOTES: SWEET BLUEBERRY | MILK CHOCOLATE | COMPLEX | FULL BODY | NO FLAVORING ADDED | Descriptive terms are simply subtle undertones in the coffee itself and no flavors are added.
- Each batch of this fresh roasted organic coffee is hand-crafted, by artisan coffee roasters, in our micro-roastery.
- Available in 12 oz or a 2 lb money-saving package, both packaged with resealable tin-tie for convenient storage. We recommend using 2 tablespoons of ground coffee to 6 oz of water for optimal extraction with most brewing methods.
- Our organic coffee is specialty grade coffee, which is the top 2% specialty grade of organic Arabica raw coffee. This specialty grade coffee is sourced worldwide through direct sourcing and through a dedicated team of coffee cupping experts. Not all coffee is created equal.
- This coffee is USDA Certified Organic, Fair Trade Certified, and Kosher Certified. Contact us for our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
Jo Coffee Store is another fairtrade brand that creates coffee blends from all over the world. This medium-dark roast consists of 100% organic Arabica beans, and it’s Swiss Water processed to get rid of the caffeine.
Once you make espresso using this coffee, you should experience milk chocolate and blueberry flavors. That’s a great way to start a day, don’t you think?
In addition to that, this decaf coffee has a complex texture to it according to those who tried it. Plus, many loved the smooth flavor, claiming that No Fun Jo Decaf is one of the best coffees to make espresso.
- A Fairtrade company that grows 100% organic Arabica beans
- Natural chocolate and blueberry tones
- Chemical-free Swiss Water process decaffeinated
- Strong-coffee lovers thought it had a mild taste
5. Medaglia D’Oro Decaf Ground Coffee
- Fluently sipped since 1924, Medaglia d’Oro coffee continues the tradition of fine Italian espresso coffees. La tradizione continua
- Medaglia d’Oro coffee starts with the finest quality coffee beans. These beans are roasted and ground for a rich aroma and robust espresso flavor
- This true espresso coffee can be easily brewed in any espresso coffee maker. You’ll make delicious espresso every time. Medaglia d’Oro coffee may also be prepared using a standard coffee maker
Last but not least, the Medaglia D’Oro Italian ground coffee is recommended by many users for a wholesome espresso shot. These fine Arabica beans have been ground to meet your everyday needs, promising a rich aroma and unmatched taste.
What we also like about this coffee is that it’s not too strong, even though it’s a dark roast. It has a gentle and smooth texture and flavor, which can be perfect for those who prefer lighter roasts.
The Medaglia D’Oro decaf coffee could be a wonderful option if you want a coffee with less acidity. So, you can still enjoy an incredible espresso with low caffeine and a less likely chance of getting heartburn.
- Premium Arabica beans for a smooth and full taste
- No overpowering flavor
- Low in acid
- A few customers thought it was mild
Factors to Think About Before Buying Decaf Coffee for Espresso
When it’s time to get decaf coffee to use inside your espresso maker, it might take you a while to decide which product is best. To save you some much-needed energy, here are a few things to consider before ordering your decaf coffee.
- Roast type (Dark, medium, medium-dark, or might)
- Additional notes (cocoa, fruit, nuts, etc.)
- Decaffeination method
- Package size
Choosing the best decaf coffee for espresso machines requires some research to end up with a smooth and rich espresso each time. Hopefully, after getting to know our products, you’ll find the right fit to help you wake up every morning.
Our ultimate favorite is the No Fun Jo Decaf Coffee for many reasons. Not only do people say that it tastes and smells great, but it’s also an organic and Fairtrade product. So, you can enjoy a full-bodied espresso and help save the environment at the same time!
If you want a stronger alternative, the Lavazza Dek Whole Bean Decaffeinated Espresso Roast may be a better option. It’s got cereal and nut tones, and it’s made of a blend of Arabica and Robusta beans. Now, are you ready to take your pick?